• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Gun cabinet in MQ

Anyone done this before? How does it work, or do DE stop you drilling into the walls etc?

The reason I ask is that I'm about to move to an area where stalking is available, and I've had an invite from a local to start doing it with him. The intention is to go for my DSC1 and then look at getting a .308 (or similar), but I have no real interest at storing it at my unit.

Thoughts, hints, tips?

I have one...and the bloody mess I made with the drill will be tastefully covered up when I leave. I didnt ask permission from DE - though clearly my firearms officer is more than happy.

As long as it can't be ragged off the wall by the firearms officer you'll be ok. You don't have to bolt it down if it weighs more than 90kg' s. Any damage or holes in your MQ have to be repaired before you leave obviously

As long as it can't be ragged off the wall by the firearms officer you'll be ok. You don't have to bolt it down if it weighs more than 90kg' s. Any damage or holes in your MQ have to be repaired before you leave obviously
No.

The gun needs to be kept in the Guardroom.

My head's not painted on.

Storage of Firearms - All privately owned firearms and ammunition
must be covered by a valid Firearms or Shotgun Certificate.
Occupants of SFA are to store privately owned firearms in approved
Service Armouries where possible. Where this is not possible, the
storage of firearms and ammunition is permitted in SFA with prior
written consent of the HIC/Housing Provider and in accordance with
Part 7, Section 7, Chapter 3 of JSP 440.
from 2009:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...chment_data/file/33486/bookletc_glsfa09v2.pdf

Don't know if that's still extant. Presumably you could crack on, satisfy the firearms officer, but be breaking Standing Orders and the terms of your Licence to Occupy.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Bearing in mind that many naval patches are ******* miles from the naval base it may be unreasonable to keep the rifle in the armoury and you would still need to have permission to keep it at home for the odd occasion when it's impractical to return it. And if Alf is going to falane (poor bugger if you are) then the logistics of even getting through the front gate are difficult enough without adding a civilian-owned rifle to the equation.

I've got a couple of friends with cabinets in naval MQs, so its possible.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's a room were we keep the Guard. You know, for Sunset and the like.

Don't keep it at Faslane. The one day you want to take it out is the day the great unwashed hippies decide to have a sit down protest at the main gate. Hosing them down with soap water is no longer allowed. I was 2 mins from escaping for the weekend and some ******* numpty of a protest climbed the gate and chained themselves to it.

Latest Threads