Gun cabinet in MQ

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by alfred_the_great, Jan 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone done this before? How does it work, or do DE stop you drilling into the walls etc?

The reason I ask is that I'm about to move to an area where stalking is available, and I've had an invite from a local to start doing it with him. The intention is to go for my DSC1 and then look at getting a .308 (or similar), but I have no real interest at storing it at my unit.

Thoughts, hints, tips?
  2. I have one...and the bloody mess I made with the drill will be tastefully covered up when I leave. I didnt ask permission from DE - though clearly my firearms officer is more than happy.
  3. Which toothpaste do you favour?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. As long as it can't be ragged off the wall by the firearms officer you'll be ok. You don't have to bolt it down if it weighs more than 90kg' s. Any damage or holes in your MQ have to be repaired before you leave obviously
  5. No.

The gun needs to be kept in the Guardroom.

My head's not painted on.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

If your SAS just go for the "under the bed" defence
    • Like Like x 2
  7. HHH

HHH LE

Surely all you need do is keep it in a box under the bed! :)
    It worked for Sgt Nightingale.

Edited to add; Beaten to it by Guns!
  8. Have I told anyone to "**** Off" today?
  9. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

from 2009:

Don't know if that's still extant. Presumably you could crack on, satisfy the firearms officer, but be breaking Standing Orders and the terms of your Licence to Occupy.
  10. It's well past midday so I expect you have.
  11. You were funnier when you were younger.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

13. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Bearing in mind that many naval patches are ******* miles from the naval base it may be unreasonable to keep the rifle in the armoury and you would still need to have permission to keep it at home for the odd occasion when it's impractical to return it. And if Alf is going to falane (poor bugger if you are) then the logistics of even getting through the front gate are difficult enough without adding a civilian-owned rifle to the equation.

I've got a couple of friends with cabinets in naval MQs, so its possible.
  14. And if it is stored elsewhere you won't have the arms storeman and every chimp who goes in there playing with it.
    • Like Like x 2