Gulls

ugly

LE
Moderator
#21
They are only protected to a certain point, if you can prove they are a health hazard they can be shot under the general license, be careful someone has been prosecuted for it last year I think. When I was growing up Restormel Council used to pay £5 per gross shot over its refuse tips!
I started in pest control shooting them on hotel roof tops!
 
#22
ugly said:
They are only protected to a certain point, if you can prove they are a health hazard they can be shot under the general license, be careful someone has been prosecuted for it last year I think. When I was growing up Restormel Council used to pay £5 per gross shot over its refuse tips!
I started in pest control shooting them on hotel roof tops!
He's not in England though, different rules probably apply.
 
#23
EX_STAB said:
ugly said:
They are only protected to a certain point, if you can prove they are a health hazard they can be shot under the general license, be careful someone has been prosecuted for it last year I think. When I was growing up Restormel Council used to pay £5 per gross shot over its refuse tips!
I started in pest control shooting them on hotel roof tops!
He's not in England though, different rules probably apply.
Indeed ... we have more environmentalists per acre than California :roll:
 
#24
A small update for those who even faintly give a sh1t ...

Yesterday, 2 of the gull chicks mastered the art of flying ... at least as far as the downhill bit to the far side of the road, where they are now residents of the water-meadow. I have christened them the Wright Brothers.

The other little sh1t-factory is still meandering around the garden somewhere, apparently unloved by its parents [and certainly by me]. :x
Perhaps he/she will fly tomorrow?

God, they have been worse than moles ... :roll:
 
#26
blue-sophist said:
longlivethequeen said:
You can borrow my 12 bore at no cost
Would upset the neighbours, and anyway the fukcing things are protected.
The quiet thwack of .22 air wouldn't be noticed 8)

Why protected, I don't know. FFS, the skies are full of the scabby things round here. It's the same with pheasants, a non-indigenous species illegally introduced a couple of decades ago for "sporting slaughter" ... no natural predators, so the Island's over-run with them, but they're protected. I know what to do with pheasant, BTW, and as they use the bird-feeding station just outside the French doors to the garden, I could literally shoot them from my armchair! I'll just wait for some nice young ones ...
My mate told me that it was impossible to kill a gull with an air rifle, said it was like trying to shoot down a hind with a rifle. Anyway one morning after missing a few crows, one landed on the rooftop opposite. I decided to use him to check zero my rifle at 40M. There was a Thwack and he disappeared the other side of the roof. 20 mins later he was scuttling up the road followed by a cat. saw him a few times scuttling around, but I think the cat had him later.
 
#30
blue-sophist said:
I didn't think there was going to be much uptake ... ;-)

I'll have to wait for the Pheasants at the top of the garden to start coming back near the house ...
Tempt the Pheasants with raisins. After a couple of days of freebie soak a few raisins in whiskey and toss that to them.

Lunch/dinner in 2 weeks.
 
#31
JoseyWales said:
blue-sophist said:
I didn't think there was going to be much uptake ... ;-)
I'll have to wait for the Pheasants at the top of the garden to start coming back near the house ...
Tempt the Pheasants with raisins. After a couple of days of freebie soak a few raisins in whiskey and toss that to them.
Lunch/dinner in 2 weeks.
To what extent is that a Wah, Josey?
And how do I keep the Magpies off the raisins?
The Wood Pigeons could be an acceptable substitute, but the Collared Doves would just be soooooooo wrong :wink:
 
#32
blue-sophist said:
. . .3 Herring Gull fledgelings . . this morning . . . I was dive-bombed by one of the parents.

Does anyone have any Gull recipes? :x
This thread got me wondering - us Yoomin Beans are top of the food chain, so where does the Seagull fit in?

So I googled for "Seagull's natural predators" - and that led to Wiki, where some punter asked:
"What animals other than sharks eat seagulls?

If the problem recurs, I suggest you try and track down this bloke
 
#33
As the former owner of a sailboat I can sympathize a bit about the gulls but...

Try living in a neighborhood with turkeys!!! They make gull shite look like something a sparrow would produce. Plus they scare the childrn in the neighborhood.

It was funny over the weekend as my neighbors cat came into my yard and the Tom (boy turkey, not UK soldier) started stalking the cat. Scared the hell out of the cat. BIG feckin birds!
 
#34
blue-sophist said:
JoseyWales said:
blue-sophist said:
I didn't think there was going to be much uptake ... ;-)
I'll have to wait for the Pheasants at the top of the garden to start coming back near the house ...
Tempt the Pheasants with raisins. After a couple of days of freebie soak a few raisins in whiskey and toss that to them.
Lunch/dinner in 2 weeks.
To what extent is that a Wah, Josey?
And how do I keep the Magpies off the raisins?
The Wood Pigeons could be an acceptable substitute, but the Collared Doves would just be soooooooo wrong :wink:
Absolutely no WAH.

The worst that can happen to the other birds is a massive hangover. The Magpies will only steal your wife's jewelry anyway, so it's best to cut the beggars off at the bar.

As for the Collared Doves - better the collared Pheasant's chum ! :D
 
#35
JoseyWales said:
blue-sophist said:
JoseyWales said:
blue-sophist said:
I didn't think there was going to be much uptake ... ;-)
I'll have to wait for the Pheasants at the top of the garden to start coming back near the house ...
Tempt the Pheasants with raisins. After a couple of days of freebie soak a few raisins in whiskey and toss that to them.
Lunch/dinner in 2 weeks.
To what extent is that a Wah, Josey?
And how do I keep the Magpies off the raisins?
The Wood Pigeons could be an acceptable substitute, but the Collared Doves would just be soooooooo wrong :wink:
Absolutely no WAH.
The worst that can happen to the other birds is a massive hangover. The Magpies will only steal your wife's jewelry anyway, so it's best to cut the beggars off at the bar.
As for the Collared Doves - better the collared Pheasant's chum ! :D
I shall consult with "She Who Stocks The Cupboards" for the necessary ingredients fifth-with ... not getting soaking in Grouse, though. Bu66er that ... they;ll get the cheap cooking stuff! :wink:
 
#36
blue-sophist said:
JoseyWales said:
blue-sophist said:
JoseyWales said:
blue-sophist said:
I didn't think there was going to be much uptake ... ;-)
I'll have to wait for the Pheasants at the top of the garden to start coming back near the house ...
Tempt the Pheasants with raisins. After a couple of days of freebie soak a few raisins in whiskey and toss that to them.
Lunch/dinner in 2 weeks.
To what extent is that a Wah, Josey?
And how do I keep the Magpies off the raisins?
The Wood Pigeons could be an acceptable substitute, but the Collared Doves would just be soooooooo wrong :wink:
Absolutely no WAH.
The worst that can happen to the other birds is a massive hangover. The Magpies will only steal your wife's jewelry anyway, so it's best to cut the beggars off at the bar.
As for the Collared Doves - better the collared Pheasant's chum ! :D
I shall consult with "She Who Stocks The Cupboards" for the necessary ingredients fifth-with ... not getting soaking in Grouse, though. Bu66er that ... they;ll get the cheap cooking stuff! :wink:
Aldi - Glen Orlin (or similar name) - very decent for a budget malt (lt's face it, you'll have a fair bit left over, and you don't want it to be completely undrinkable, do you?)
 
#37
Seagulls that can be shot at any time: Greater Black backed gull, lesser black backed gull, herring gull. Dont bother trying to eat them as they are like white greasy string. The eggs on the other hand are fantastic, much better than hens eggs and even better than ducks eggs for baking.

Seabirds that are good to eat; puffin (small but easily caught when down the nest holes), guillemot, cormorant,black throated diver, and gannet. Dont get caught by the local treehuggers though as they have a sense of humour failure although there is no shortage of any of the above mentioned species contrary to what the RSPB say. Enjoy.
 
#38
firestarter said:
blue-sophist said:
I've always been a bit of a contradiction ... I'm perfectly happy to shoot and eat game I've walked up myself, but at the same time try to let nature take it's course where wildlife is concerned.

As a consequence I've ended up with 3 Herring Gull fledgelings wandering around my garden, sh1tting all over the terrace paving and ... everywhere. One even wandered into the house yesterday evening through the open patio door, and this morning [whilst topping up the bird water bowls] I was dive-bombed by one of the parents.

Does anyone have any Gull recipes? :x
Pluck and gut the bird,Marinade in molasses and salt,place a firebrick in the internal cavity,wrap in newspaper and bury in dunghill for 3 weeks,Heat oven to 250 oC,Place newspaper-wrapped bird in oven for 12 hours,Remove from oven,allow to rest,remove newspaper and bird.

Eat the brick :twisted:

Thats about the size of it.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T The NAAFI Bar 64

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top