Gulls

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by blue-sophist, Jul 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I've always been a bit of a contradiction ... I'm perfectly happy to shoot and eat game I've walked up myself, but at the same time try to let nature take it's course where wildlife is concerned.

As a consequence I've ended up with 3 Herring Gull fledgelings wandering around my garden, sh1tting all over the terrace paving and ... everywhere. One even wandered into the house yesterday evening through the open patio door, and this morning [whilst topping up the bird water bowls] I was dive-bombed by one of the parents.

Does anyone have any Gull recipes? :x

2. Pluck and gut the bird,Marinade in molasses and salt,place a firebrick in the internal cavity,wrap in newspaper and bury in dunghill for 3 weeks,Heat oven to 250 oC,Place newspaper-wrapped bird in oven for 12 hours,Remove from oven,allow to rest,remove newspaper and bird.

Eat the brick :twisted:

3. blue-sophist

I didn't think there was going to be much uptake ... ;-)

I'll have to wait for the Pheasants at the top of the garden to start coming back near the house ...

4. Seabirds are a delicacy in the outer Hebrides.

Ask this question in the Hedgerow Gourmet thread or give Ex-Stab a PM

5. Try hand-feeding them Sterident tablets. Or, for sheer entertainment, wrap a bit of bread around a fishing hook, then use your rod and reel to fly them about for a bit.

(The first got me a warning letter, the second a life-time ban from working near the Fish Dock in Hull)

6. Cook them like Cockatoos, in an oven at 200 degrees celcius, place the bird and a small river pebble wait until the stone is soft then discard the cockatoo and eat the stone

7. blue-sophist

There's a nice high-energy .22 air rifle with telescopic sight calling me in the distance.
    I'm sort of hoping that the bloody things will fly sometime this week.

Thanks for the recipe ... ;-)

8. Grab a small empty soya sauce bottle, fill it full of herbs and a tablespoon of water and shove it into the bird's cavity. The bottle heats up and evaporates the water, which then helps the herb aroma to penetrate the meat.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Feed them to the ferrets, you do have ferrets dont you?

10. Shoot them and let them rot for weeks on a dungheap and then post them to Jamie Oliver with a note enclosed saying, sort that lot out - you fecking boring nonse, the fecking smug twat that he is!

11. I don't think you are meant to eat the minging things; seemingly they are pretty toxic.

12. blue-sophist

Thay're pretty aggressive, I know that. I've been outside, trying to hose off some of the sh1t, and ended up herding the 3 chicks out of my way. They set off distress calls and within a minute I'm being attacked by Mum and about 12 others are in a holding pattern, all shouting their heads off. Bloody things.

Beer Can Barbecue chicken, BTW ... similar sort of thing. About half full can of beer, extra holes in the top, add herbs and spices, stuff it up chicken's arrse and stand upright on the grill over a drip tray. Slow cook [indirect heat] for about 1 1/2 hours. Keeps it lovely and moist ... but mind the hot beer when you lift it off the grill. :wink:

@ Ugly ... no ferrets, mate, just a geriatric Burmese cat that sleeps H23 :wink:

13. You can borrow my 12 bore at no cost

14. blue-sophist

Would upset the neighbours, and anyway the fukcing things are protected.
    The quiet thwack of .22 air wouldn't be noticed 8)

Why protected, I don't know. FFS, the skies are full of the scabby things round here. It's the same with pheasants, a non-indigenous species illegally introduced a couple of decades ago for "sporting slaughter" ... no natural predators, so the Island's over-run with them, but they're protected. I know what to do with pheasant, BTW, and as they use the bird-feeding station just outside the French doors to the garden, I could literally shoot them from my armchair! I'll just wait for some nice young ones ...