Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by chimera, Oct 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

This has just popped up on the MOD Intranet Website:

Research finds no link between Gulf War vaccinations and illness

Research published online in the journal International Immunopharmocology has found no link between the various vaccines and tablets given to UK troops during the 1990/1 Gulf War and ill-health.

The research was overseen by a panel of independent medical and scientific experts as well as representatives of the Gulf War veterans, which has endorsed the findings.
    The MOD has also released the findings of a related research study into the health of Porton Down employees who received multiple vaccinations. This research compared their levels of sick leave with their colleagues who did not receive vaccinations. It found that there was no discernable difference between the two groups and concluded that there was no link between ill-health and the vaccinations.

Veterans Minister, Derek Twigg, said:

"The research shows there is no link between the medical countermeasures given to our troops in the 1990-91 Gulf War and ill-health. I hope that the findings will reassure veterans of that conflict that the vaccines and tablets they received were safe. It should also reassure those serving today that medical countermeasures are safe."

Donald Davies, Emeritus Professor in Toxicology Imperial College London, who chaired the independent group which oversaw the study, has said:

"This study has addressed a valid question in experiments that were well designed and conducted. I have discussed the results with expert immunologists from the group and we support the conclusion that the animals suffered no adverse health effect, despite exposure to exaggerated doses of vaccines."

These publications represent the final steps in the MOD's £4.5 million programme of research in this area. Taken together, the overwhelming evidence from the programme is that the combination of vaccines and tablets would not have had adverse health effects.

The Vaccines Interactions Research Programme consisted of three studies:

tests on mice to examine the particular interaction between anthrax and pertussis (whooping cough) vaccines;

a core study which involved monitoring groups of marmosets (a small primate) following administration of vaccines and/or pyridostigmine bromide (the active ingredient in Nerve Agent Pretreatment tablets); and

a study of staff from Dstl Porton Down to determine if those who received multiple vaccinations during their employment have higher levels of recorded sick leave than their unvaccinated colleagues.
    The research published today involved monitoring the effect of vaccines and/or pyridostigmine bromide (the active ingredient in Nerve Agent Pretreatment tablets) on marmosets over an 18 month period.
  2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The fact it is on a MoD website must tint the story with a hint of 'bollox'

Plus, bugger, I was hoping for a paid holiday in lanzarote Xmas!
  3. I'll say it one more time........according to my son [ex Legionaire] The French FL had no cases of GWS...........they did not have the cocktail of drugs that the Brits *& Septics had...............ergo...................
  4. Another whitewash. Hoe does that explain the people who ended up with GWS when they never went to the Gulf, but DID have the cocktail of dugs administered in preparation.
  5. If I remember correctly, we got ours out there. Camp 4, a long line up and a shiit load of jabs.

At the time I asked the doc what they were for, his reply "your own safety".

2 weeks later, rolled up for another shed load of secondery jabs, I lost count after 8.

Can anyone tell me what exact amount of jabs were given and what they were for?