GULF WAR MEDAL Info

Discussion in 'Medals' started by hebburn Jon, Aug 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All

I recently purchsed a N Ireland CSM and Gulf War Medal No Clasp to a Pte 1 Staffords

I asked the recipient why he didnt get the 16 Jan-28 Feb 1991 clasp to the Gulf War Medal he quoted

Is this correct as i thought DNBI would of got the clasp aswell?

Can anyone shed any light onto this for me all info gratefully recieved.

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Could he have qualified for the Medal by being in theatre before tha actual war fighting phase 16 Jan - Feb 28.
    Similer to those in Cyprus who got the medal without clasp?

3. I've got the medal and no clasp due to being cas-evaced out before the ground war started the same could well have happend to him

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

This is entirely plausible. Whilst the medal by itself was awarded for service in designated Middle Eastern Theatres (including Cyprus) between 2nd August 1990 and 7 March 1991, the two Clasps had more specific criteria. The Clasp that he most likely would have received had he not left theatre early, was the "16 Jan-28 Feb 1991" Clasp which required 7 days continuous service between those dates in Zone I only (specified in DCI GEN 185/91). Your lad from the Staffs probably didn't make it to those dates.

The other clasp is the "2 AUG 1990" Clasp which was awarded to the Kuwait Liaison Team who were there when the Iraqis invaded.

5. Looks like you were right mate i recieved this email from him