Gulf War I veteran held after four killed in Newcastle

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ShortFatBloke, Jul 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Two reports in today's media - little mention on the BBC of the man's military background but plenty in the Mirror.

Daily Mirror here

BBC News here

Edited for crap info

2. poor bugger :(

3. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Bloody hell. Poor buggers all round.

4. Poor sod. Good to see that the mandarins in the MOD still don't look after the people made mentally ill as a result of their service.

5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

A very sad story. I am not at all sure why the Mirror has put in the piece about Gulf War Syndrome; on the face of it I would have thought PTSD or some other trauma stress-related condition much more likely. And just what is a 'thunderclap'? It seems like the standard inaccurate, poorly researched reporting we've come to expect from the Mirror.

There's no question that GWS, and particularly MOD's attitude to it, needs to be aired as often as possible, but then so does the issue of how service personnel with psychiatric injuries and illnesses are managed, especially once they've left.

6. Anyone know if he was TA or regular?

7. Regular, toured Balkans and NI as well as serving in Gulf War 1

8. Thunderclap = oldstyle thunderflash with nails wrapped round it not the most sophisticated of ieds but doubt being in a room when it went off would be good for you .