Gulf war 2 kit concerns

Discussion in 'RAC' started by YeoTanky, Oct 1, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In GW1 I was RSO/Cmnd Tp Ldr.

We had a real problem then with the Sultan Cmnd Veh and of course the radios init.

I understand that Sultans have now been deiselised.

However, that still leaves the prospect of having to go to war in a command vehicle that is just not suitable foir the job.

We could not keep up with Ch1 in GW1 so how will Command Tp. keep up with Ch2?

A six man crew is required in order to do the job, but this is impossible to accomplish in terms of stowage and the ability to breath.

The lack of internal stowage for all but food and water means that everything else has to go on the roof or be tied to the outside.  We did not get gassed or shelled last time but if we had all of our equipment would have been lost.

If any of you has been warned of for GW2, put in bids for Warrior CV, ASP.  This is still not ideal but is a damned sight better than Sultan.  The memory of watching (luckily) AP mines going off under the following Sultan to mine and hearing them popping under my arse is still very real.

Please feel free to consult me in more detail about problems with Sultan.

Clansman is another matter, but a word of warning, if your CO, Ops Off etc. wants a combat fax in the CV try and dissuade him, they take up the entire behind the map board stowage!!

2. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

DESERTISATION OF CR2............so what is going on or is this more justincaseitis

3. Well do you all you have just realised that the kit we have is ARRSE  ;D

4. mkw

mkw Swinger

Youve gotta admit it its one nice looking beast
    [​IMG]

5. Its an old thread i know , but you have to admit the personal kit we get now
    is ''top notch'' .Ive just gone and signed for my desert kit for telic 8 . I thought
    the kit issue for telic 5 was pretty damn good but the even newer kit is great .
    Even got a desert assault vest .
    Seems the army really has sorted its personal kit out , it more than makes
    for being issued 1 pair of trousers and 1 shirt on telic 1 ok we got a refurb after a
    month but the kit was crap . Never thought i would say this but well done the army .

6. Yeah, they are slowly getting it together, softee (or similiar) jkts & Trsrs, Camel baks, properly designed Tee shirts (are they the coolmax type?, Danbat is a good source) Desert Goretex & NBC/CBRN..Noddy suits.

7. Remember that Sultan was designed as a CV for Armd Recce Regts a role for which it is more than suitable. The fact that it has been adapted as the CV for higher echoleon duties is a problem. When remembering that Sultan replaced the Saracen CV maybe puts things back in perspective. As for Clansman? 1 RTR was the first regiment in the entire British Army to be fully equipped with Clansman and we thought we were gods!!!. As an old sod who remembers "Larkspur" (the radio system replaced by clansman) I find it hard to slag off clansman, "dial a frequency" was something out of startrek for us tankies

8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

... and 15/19H must have been pretty much right behind 1RTR with Sultan and Clansman. What he said. The Clansman Control Sig course must have been a gift.