Gulf Arabic Language training

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Closet_Jibber, May 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I previously made efforts to study this whist deployed abroad and upon returning back the novelty of trying to learn without hundereds of people to practice with wore off pretty quickly.

I'm going to go back to square one and as I don't have the time for night school classes etc I'd like to know whether any of our multi-lingual types have any reccomendations on books/audio books etc which are worth a poke.

Regards

C_J

2. Theres a book that comes together with 2 CD's called "Mastering Arabic" by Jane Wightwick & Mahmoud Gaafar published by Palgrave Mcmillan. This teaches Modern Standard Arabic. I got it through Amazon, its not bad teaching the reading & writing of Arabic as well as the spoken language! You have to be very self disciplined to make sure you persist with it!

3. جد نفسك العربية والحديث له أو لها

In Saudi at the moment working and books are fine but there is no subsitute for the real thing........I had the benifit of doing the Arabic course at Beconsfield a few years ago mind, and still carry around my 1966 version of Arabic from the Military in Aden!!