Gulbuddin Hekmatyar - terrorist, freedom fighter or what?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Nov 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Who has made the explosion? Likely only Allah knows. But as for Gulbuddin Hekmatyar then is he a friend, a former friend or an enemy?

Btw, he was a prominent leader of anti-Soviet resistance.
  2. Well if he blows up commies he can't be all bad!

3. Hekmatyar is a seriously nasty little individual. His incompetence as a leader is legendary, as is his well documented penchant for torture, rape and murder.

It is a pity that the Russians didn't kill him.
  4. He was I think favoured by the Pakistanis during the Soviet's war, and that's why he got also American support during that period.
  5. It was a very difficult task because

So mr.Hekmatyar had a lot of weapons, exellent hideouts.

Of course such a beacon of democracy was backed from Washington.

According to Hekmatyar even the Iranians are American servants.

How it was possible that the USA supported and funded such a nutter? His views were well known.

Typical fre... err terrorist.
  6. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Gulbuddin Hekmatyar - terrorist, freedom fighter or what?

One word - Skunk!
  7. Like I said, American support had to go through the Pakistani secret service, and they liked Hekmatyar, he was their man.
  8. That was before the Yanks realised (or pretended that they did know) that Pakistan's ISI was a vipers nest of religeous nutjobs that made OBL look like a liberal!
  9. But they were killing communists so that was all that mattered .Giving the ussr its own vietnam was the whole point of the cia backing the muji and it worked .
  10. Anyone who knowingly and with purpose kills innocent people are terrorists.
  11. That was a short term planning, which turned against the CIA in the end (Bin Laden). The enemy of my enemy is my friend is a short term strategy that turns against the Americans every time.
  12. Now GH is a remarkably competent survivor in a spectacularly rough field. He makes Ceasre Borgia look like an ingenuine having turnedcoat and backstabbed out of trouble many a time. He's even slipped Islamabad's very tight leash occasionally. His reputation for incompetence is more about the Peter Principle at work. He's a Zealot with all that's breeds weaknesses and probably should never have been promoted above company commander.

The torture, rape and murder are part of the warlord game. But GH is more the kind of old skool guy who throws acid at that unveiled. Mass casualty martyrdom operations have really not been his style.

Odd that this big one hits just a decent logistical gap after the BB hit. Imported talent being expended?
  13. Rayc

Rayc RIP backfire!

For the want of a nail........

Just a thought!
  14. Regardless of the cause he was fighting for, he tainted it by murder and other crimes.

Terrorist. Should be tracked down and killed.
  15. .....and former engineering student at Kabul university.

Not a lot of people know that, even in Hezbi I Islami