Guinness sales volume drops by 8% in Ireland

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mad_Moriarty, Aug 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought it was a mis-print in the report I read...

It looks like the Nations best loved tipple is being overtaken by the sales in larger.

Arthur J Guinness will be turning in his Grave!!!!...

2. Not surprised - its really an old mans drink or for ex provos trying to prove a point - little do they realise is Arthur Guinness was a proddy and the original name for Guinness Extra Stout was "Arthur Guinness' Protestant Porter"!

3. Thank you for the history lesson, so Arthur was a proddy, Lord Kitchener was Irish Born like Wellington, what the **** has that got to do with the 8% drop??????

4. Just a comment that the readers might not have known

Did you know that Wellington's house in Athlone is a tourist attraction?

The house where he was born in Dublin is now a hotel?

5. Wellington Irish? Was he not the man who said "If a man is born in a stable that does not make him a horse?"

6. yes - but don't forget that it was unfashionable within the military hierachy to admit being Irish at that time - and he didn't actually deny it - it was just a witty riposte to throw the accuser off track

7. well i appreciated it
    cheers
    still tastes like tar though

8. Another Irish born, British Army figure:

Major General Eric Edward Dorman-Smith. In 1940 he became commandant of the Middle East Staff College where he gave military advice to General Archibald Wavell and General Claude Auchinleck. In April 1942 he became Director of Military Operations in Cairo and acting deputy chief of staff to the 8th Army.

9. Soz to hear that MAD_M.. :cry:

I too tried the "Black Stuff" once and that's where it stayed the once..

For me the Quinticential tipple for me is strong continental Beer, followed by a nice round up of Coburns Special Reserve Port..MMMmmmm... :lol:

Attached Files:

10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Does that mean I will have to drink even more of the delightful drink here in the UK to make up for the weakness of the new breed of lager drinking, light in their loafers, not man enough for a proper Guiness intestinal blast Irish?

Good.

11. I prefer the Guinness Original, none of that extra cold Guinness tat.....

12. I like the drink but I only drink it when in Ireland, and it's not my first choice.

Wouldn't call it an old man's drink though.

A lot of famous British Ossifers have been Irish though, from memory:

Templar
    Wavell
    Auchinleck
    Blair Mayne
    Tim Collins

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong ;)

13. It is??? 8O 8O 8O

14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I quite like the 'ol black stuff although with a ruby it does have a certain affect on me!But It's,for me anyway,not a drink for hot weather days tho.Too heavy,I prefer a Magners.

15. Why is it Magners in England & Bulmers in the Republic????