Guilty plea over train documents

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Oct 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

A senior civil servant has pleaded guilty to breaching the Official Secrets Act after leaving top secret documents on a train in June.

Good to see someone actually carry the can for once.

2. If they're that secret, why was he allowed to take them onto the train? At least they could have been on a CD, encrypted, in his pocket, or sent ahead by secure courier.

I may be cynical, but the MOD seems to "lose" things with startling regularity. Perhaps a more detailed system of inquiry is required into each incident...
  3. He'll probably get off with a good talking to, and a slap on wrist. Followed by Knighthood, pension, retirement and sail off into oblivion.
  4. Only to leave it in a restaurant in Pimlico ?.
  5. Knowing the world in which we live I wonder if, after some negotiating between the CPS and the defence barristers, this guilty plea is to a lesser charge of littering in order to avoid a messy and expensive trial on the original OSA charge?
    Call me cynical but...

Edited to add - just seen the sentence (if you can call it that). They took this VERY seriously then, oh yes indeedy... :x
  6. At least they are seaking a conviction. Security has been so slack over the last few years, perhaps this will make those concerned be a bit more careful in future, after all their stupidity could cost lives.
  7. Definitely not a slap on the wrist - grapevine rumours suggest the guy has been utterly hung out to dry on this case.
  8. msr

msr LE

Hung out to dry? Quite rightly I would suggest.

Update: £2,500 fine and £250 costs. Ho hum.

9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Fine £2500.00 and £250.00 costs.

And a "Box 5: Not Fitted" on his annual report.
  10. He's lucky he's not a member of the scapegoat classes, where you're sent to prison for stealing out of date pork pies from retail bandits.
  11. Strange how that always has an impact on Military Sy policy too - as we have to be punished/limited by these mongs.
  12. Do you think he will get a say as to what the fine is spent on?
  13. £2500 for endangering national security is really light, should have been a custodial sentence.
  14. But did it?
  15. Well by implication "Top Secret" implies that the information under that classification is potentially useful to those who would wish the state harm. Otherwise it could have been any of the other security classifications lower. Quite why something Top Secret is allowed out of the office is a mystery to me, it would seem a massive breach in security procedures, that allows a document to be signed out and transported by an individual outside of the secure area.