Guidons

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Ensign, Sep 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have never posted on this site before but the subject of “Guidon’s” is a very interesting one with many unique facts specific to individual regiments.

This thread has been quite amusing at times with some of the banter that has been thrown around but did tend to deviate away for the subject that was being discussed.

One thing that we must remember is that the majority of people who have posted in this thread are from units that have since been amalgamated in the early 90s, and when we look at the size of the armoured corps post this then irrelevant of true cavalry or the council cav we need to stick together to show the high standards and traditions that we have to the rest of army because before long I would not be surprised to see a further bout of amalgamations similar to that of the Scottish regiments, and then our individual units will become a sub department of the Royal Armoured Corps with us all wearing the Gauntlet as a Cap Badge.

Anyway enough of my political bit, I shall give my two peneth worth with regards to the Guidon and Dragoons, Hussars and lancers.

The British Regular Army dates from 1661, but often before its formal organization the carrying of Standards or Colors was already an established practice. Originally each squadron or troop of cavalry had its own standard, but with the passing of time these were reduced to a single Regimental Standard or Guidon. The principle purpose of the Regimental Standard was to provide a rallying point in battle and indeed the word "Guidon" is a corruption of the French "Guide Homme" -Guide Man.

From the earliest days of chivalry the Standard, inscribed with the devices of a family or body of troops, came to be a symbol of the honor of those who followed it. Regimental Standards were therefore most jealously guarded in both peace and war; the loss of one to the "enemy" was unthinkable and there have been countless occasions in the annals of the British Army when men have laid down their lives in order to preserve them from capture or destruction.

In 1833 the practice was discontinued in the Regiments of light cavalry. The reasons for this lay in the, role that these Regiments performed in War, They were the hard-riding hard-hitting shock troops of the Army. Supremely mobile and self sufficient - First scouting ahead of the slow moving infantry and guns in the Advance. Then keeping the enemy at bay as the rearguard in the withdrawal; and when the decisive moment came in battle, charging home with shattering force against enemy formations. To do all this they had to ride far and fast with the fewest encumbrances; personal belongings carried on the march were cut to the bare minimum, and even the buttons on the soldiers' jackets were solid and rounded so that in an emergency they could be torn off and fired from carbine or pistol.

In 1952 King George VI directed that once again the Regiments of light cavalry should carry Guidon's During the period 1833 - 1958 the Regiments Battle Honors were carried on the officers saddle cloths (Shabraque). They were also borne on the drum banners and the unique instance of the 3rd The King’s Own Hussars they were emblazoned on the drums themselves. of which were given the same compliments as those given to the Guidon.

Further to the subject of the Guidon the term Hussar is relatively new in the Histories of the Armored Corps Regiments. Initially all Cavalry Regiments were raised as dragoons. Hussar is a Hungarian style made popular by the French during the Napoleonic era. As well as being Dragoons units were categorised by Numbers in order of seniority, it is only in the 20th Century that units were given names other than numerically and they then tended to take the name of their Colonel. It was much later that this was standardised and Units bearing the Names of Hussars, Lancers and Dragoon Guards appeared.

2. oop's, not a\ ver y good start.

I managed to post an entirely new thread instead of replying to a thread.

hey we all start somewhere and i suppose i have started here.

3. Better yet, you managed to do it whilst apparently advertising a lack of proper understanding of the correct use of the apostrophe...

NTM