Guidelines for securing a gun safe

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by msr, Jan 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Are these published anywhere? I have just been asked to put mastic along the edges of the safe between the safe and the wall... and to bolt the other one to the wall rather than to the floor.

2. Use 'KD8 Toggle bolts' if you have a hollow wall (eg studwall)

If it is stud work, be advised to have the Safe crossing between two pieces of plasterboard and the aluminium stud

I've used this spec for weapon safes and controlled drugs cabinets

Use masonry bolts if 1. they're internal to the safe 2. they're fixed into masonry / concrete etc

Theres a variety of security bolts on the market but remember, its the cabinet that needs to be rated.

You just need to prevent the cabinet being stolen quickly.

The local Plob will give you more advice if/when they come to visit
  3. sorry to hijack this thread but if you can prove you are keeping a gun in, say, a military armoury, would you still need to have a gun safe fitted at home? Could you also store said weapons ammo in the magazine of the mil establishment or would you also need an ammo safe at home?
  4. msr

msr LE

5. These are not legal requirements - just advisory. If the Police are asking you to do anything pointless or over-extravagant, you should challenge them. What on earth is a mastic strip supposed to contribute?

Use decent fixings and demonstrate to the police that you have some sort of layered security plan - e.g. neighbourhood watch, building occupancy (esp if someone is usually at home), proper door & window locks, cabinet out of obvious sight, etc, etc.
  6. msr

msr LE

I suspect it will be:

"Here is a list of what you have to do... let us know when you have done it"

neighbourhood watch, Yes

building occupancy (esp if someone is usually at home) Yes

proper door & window locks Yes

cabinet out of obvious sight Yes

burglar alarm Yes

Let's face it if someone wants the guns they just turn up mob handed and politely ask for the keys to the cabinet.
  7. Well perhaps not. I got round this for mounting an extra tall cabinet which was a few inches too big for the available vertical space.

Did this with coach screws onto a hardwood timber plinth (being lengths of 100mm square section sawn to length and screwed/glued together) which was itself very firmly fixed through floorboards to the floor joists with mahoosive coach screws/washers. Had to countersink the screw heads to get a flush fit for cabinet.

Drilled four additional holes in cabinet so it was eight point mounted into plinth

Thus the fact that joists were running North-South did not interfere with desired East-West positioning.

Not pretty but Police were happy with this and in fact commented that it was far more secure that many a wall fixing.
  8. Chemical bolts for brickwork, the brick will comeout before the fixing can be removed, threaded bar and plates for joists, quality not quantity 8)

bloggs got the right idea

speedy (the nickname came from fitting locks, not the running but that also helps)
  9. None of my cabinet have ever been fastened to the floor, just the wall. Just bolt the thing in and tell them it's done. If you ask them for advice they'll gold plate it. Mastic FFS :roll:

PM etc. if you need to discuss.
  10. msr

msr LE

Didn't ask for advice, just got it.

Presumably from someone who feels a bit under threat in his job...

The safe which now 'requires' mastic was checked and found OK about 18 months ago.

11. It sounds like it depends on which Plod comes round to check. My local firearms bobby just gave my cabinet a bloody good tug (fnaar) and when it didn't come away from the wall, said 'that's fine'.
  12. I can't get my head round this. What is this mastic supposed to do?
  13. Its rare but I think a precedent has been set. It becomes a special condition printed on the license 'that the firearms and ammunition listed hereon are stored at Bloggs Barracks, Building 99 (Armoury) etc;'

I know its been done before where club members have kept their weapons on club premises, but the problem you might have with a mil armoury is to do with access. ie other soldiers who do not have an FAC!

Also, you might want to check and see if the Army/MOD/LandMarc have any issues about you keeping a privately owned weapon and ammo in one of their armouries. No doubt the H&S doom sayers will take a large intake of breath!
  14. msr

msr LE

If you are signed in then you are exempt. That's how we get to carry automatic weapons.

Just write to your CO and ask for his/her permission to store them in the unit armoury.