Guide on Firearms Licensing Law, 2012 to 2013

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Blogg, Jul 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearms-law-guidance-to-the-police-2012

Seem to be some new bits in there, especially the parts relating to "Domestic Violence" which is getting some press splash

Families to be interviewed

The guidance states:

• When police officers receive information about an applicant having a history of domestic violence, they should consider interviewing their family, friends and associates.

• Speaking to the applicant’s partner – who might be a victim of abuse – may be judged to be “essential”.

•The information the partner gives must be treated confidentially and police would need to take steps to make sure they are safe from possible reprisals.

•The partner would not have to approve an application for a firearms certificate – that responsibility would still lie with the police, who would also consult their own force’s domestic violence unit.

The guidance also says police would not have to rely on a criminal conviction for domestic violence when considering applications.

They would be able to consider police intelligence about an incident, looking at how recent it was and whether it was isolated behaviour or part of a pattern.

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Interesting, thanks for that I have printed them off and will read them at my leisure

3. interviewing their family, friends and associates.?? which ones, the applicates ones or the 'victum' if its the victum then it is really a stupid idea..as they would never ever agree to their ex partner wanting a firearm !

• Speaking to the applicant’s partner – who might be a victim of abuse – may be judged to be “essential another brillent idea written by a bright spark in whitehall who either had a sheltered life (women) or is just stupid. Holding a grude by the applicates ex girlfriend??? did they take into account this?? she can say all sorts of shit! how many on here would be worried if the firearms people had go to interview your ex girl!!
    might be victum ? she is or she isnt ! who decides?
    in this day and age the police would convince her that she was just becuase you wanted to have a blow job or you wanted to do it doggy for example

The information the partner gives must be treated confidentially and police would need to take steps to make sure they are safe from possible reprisals. ---- not workable that informaton would be needed in an event of an appeal to the crown court by the applicant

•The partner would not have to approve an application for a firearms certificate – that responsibility would still lie with the police, who would also consult their own force’s domestic violence unit. Bollocks acpo wanted this all along knowing full well alot of ex girlfriends will make up shit on the ex partner thus leading the police too worried to take a risk. The number of firearms will decrease this is what acpo wants !

The guidance also says police would not have to rely on a criminal conviction for domestic violence when considering applications. who decides what is a domestic?? nosey neighbour calls plod over raised voices but truns out be nothing but a normally domestic row ??? ok if you still with her i spose!

• Like Like x 2
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its only guidance though not law! It can always be challenged!

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

They have a hard enough time understanding and following the current law, giving them more grey areas under the heading of "guidance" is just going to make it worse.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My guidance would be to do their jobs as paid and issue the certificates within days of being approved not 6 months later!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Or a year later after repeated lies and invention of additional requirements - and then only after involving BASC, writing to the Chief Const. the public complaints dept and threatening legal action as in my lad's case.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oh yes I remember the bullshit they tried on me on that case!

9. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Did you stop slapping your bint about or did she leave?

By the way, is English your first language ?

10. I'm not certain this is the correct thread to be posting in but I'm looking for a bit of guidance to the current requirements for getting a shotgun certificate and posibbly a FAC.

I let my SC lapse. 20 years ago, has much changed in the requirements ? Also what is required nowdays if I wanted to apply for an FAC?
    Sorry if these seem bone questions but.peoples experience is usualy more enlightening than just reading the technical requirements.

Camm1

11. Forms and bureaucracy have changed a bit, but the basic principle remains the same: you have to be free of mental conditions and criminal tendencies, you have to show a good reason for wanting to own firearms, and you have to show that you can keep them to a reasonable level of security.

If you are ok on the personality/background checks, then the main thing is to show "good reason" for wanting to have a firearm. Get back into shooting, and establish some sort of track record, e.g.:

- join a target shooting club (mandatory for FAC for non-hunting weapons);

- join a clay club;

- get involved in rough shooting/ vermin control/ deer stalking/ etc;

- for historical weapons, join a relevant association or society

Once you have some sort of evidence of interest and use of firearms, then the rest is just satisfying the application forms requirements - usually a couple of referees, etc.

SGC has easier "good reason" than FAC, but has slightly more stringent referee checks. FAC means six months' or so probation with a club first, but then the application is usually rubber-stamped.

12. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will make enquiries about joining a clay club to start and the see where things go. Is a retired police office valid as a referee?

13. For an FAC, in a shooting CLUB - you'll need to become a provisional member, usually for six months, before you can apply for an FAC.

After having spent your probie time showing good practices and safe handling, as well as a good attitude to the sport as a whole, you'll need to fill out your application form - downloadable these days, so I suggest you have a look at it. In it you will list the firearms you wish to acquire and the amount of ammunition in each calibre you need to purchase and hold.

The club secretary will be your primary referee, and two other people, NOT club members and NOT police officers or members of the judiciary are required to write you up in a positive manner. You do NOT get to see what they have written. You also have to give your permission for the authorities to look at you medical records, if necessary, and therefore are required to give the address of your GP.

After applying the usual six or eight PP-sized photos, signed on the back to certify that 'this is a true likeness of cxcxcxc', you put it all together with the cheque and, if possible, walk it into your county police HQ.

Sometime afterwards, the FEO will contact you for an interview, and, this having taken place satisfactorily, your FAC will arrive between three and forty-five weeks later, depending on where you are.

tac

14. Worth pointing out that you do not need a good reason to want a SGC, nor do you need to be a member of a club. As long as you are not disqualified from possessing one you can have one.

For an FAC it's as plunderer describes above.

Referees need to be people in good standing, normally professionals so teachers, company directors or even local traders will normally do.

15. Club secretary will be your primary referee on FAC renewal, not necessarily for a first application, as the referees have to have known you for at least two years. FAC referees can just be a couple of friends for the first application but for SGC they must be of "good standing", so the usual, doctors, vicar or equivalent, bank officer etc. If you do both applications at the same time ie coterminous, you can save a fair bit of the fee, £60 for the two as opposed to £50 each.
    As for what rifles to apply for, after 6 months club membership you'll have an idea what you want to shoot, and your fellow members can advise as to amount of ammo to ask for.
    BASC website has a good guide explaining how to complete the forms.