Guess who gets my vote next election? Pay rise

Please note the uses of could and should in the statement so it is wind from Westminster again

He said the move, costing about £300m, could be part funded by cutting 10,000 "desk" jobs at the Ministry of Defence.
The Lib Dems said it was "ridiculous" that the MoD employed two "desk-based" employees for every one serving member of personnel and the department could make do with 10,000 fewer civilian employees it deems "non-essential".
So a combined affect in the context of the coming elections would be rather negative for the LibDems.

Also many if not a vast majority of soldiers voted and will vote for the Tories anyway. Thus this statement is pointless.

If you vote Liberal Demoprats you may as well vote Liebour as it's a wasted vote and only helps them stay in power.

nark said:
The Liberal Democrats - the party of treehuggers and gayness
The party of sven, enough said.

Clegg should check the facts before making statements such as "there are 2 desk based people for every serving soldier". Maybe this has something to do with previous governments getting rid of service personel to save money and civilianise their posts.

clownfish said:
Clegg should check the facts before making statements such as "there are 2 desk based people for every serving soldier". Maybe this has something to do with previous governments getting rid of service personel to save money and civilianise their posts.
That and the civil service expanding exponentially to generate government non jobs. They're all as bad as each other.

'1 in 2' - one of those powerful stats that ultimately mean nothing unless you qualify what groups are being counted and how...

I don't normally jump to the defence of the MOD, but how many of the 'desk jockeys' are actually doing defence research? I doubt all of them are just paper shufflers.

Anyway, one 'good' policy by the lib dems isn't enough, I'd trust Dr Cable to get the economy on track but I doubt a LD government would have the willpower to see the necessary reforms through... i'd rather vote Tory, see labour demoted to 3rd party... then i'll take a look at the LD's.

What will happen to all those comfortable (and very expensive), chairs in the puzzle palace?

Fair play to Nick Clegg he has been very decisive over contentious issues in recent months. (Much more so than call me dave). Shame about his Party's ridiculous position on pensions, show stopper for me. Still too many lefties in the LibDems.

It's immaterial what the LibDems say they would do if they got into power, as they will not get in at the next election, nor the one after, in all liklihood. The only thing they can acheive is floating ideas to allow the only two credible parties to guage public opinion.

This, they claim, would lift the annual salary of the lowest-paid privates from £16,681 to £22,680.

They are also calling for longer-serving privates and lance corporals to get a £3,000 rise, which would take their average annual pay up to about £25,000.
So, for all the responsibility of running my Bedding Store, I would only earn £3k pa more than Pte Snodgrass who has only just left training?

If that happened, I would hand in my stripe because the responsibility wouldn't be worth the aggro!

Think again, Mr Clegg!

:D

Litotes

Not so sure. There is no way Labour can win the next election, Tories will win the popular vote, but they need to achieve a massive result to get a working majority. In the event of a hung parliament can't see the Tories power sharing with Labour. Could still see LibDems in ministerial positions. Let's face it, a Tory vote for many people will be one given through gritted teeth partly because Cameron refuses to tell us what he actually stands for.

nigegilb said:
Not so sure. There is no way Labour can win the next election, Tories will win the popular vote, but they need to achieve a massive result to get a working majority. In the event of a hung parliament can't see the Tories power sharing with Labour. Could still see LibDems in ministerial positions. Let's face it, a Tory vote for many people will be one given through gritted teeth partly because Cameron refuses to tell us what he actually stands for.

IF Camoron had a clue, the first thing he'd do if he wins would be to pass a Bill giving us a single transferable vote type system here in the UK and make Liebour a footnote in political history.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Cameron's problem is that, despite the fact that Labour is a disaster area in all spheres of government, the one thing it can do, and do superbly, is media management. Labour remains the most effective media wrecking ball in British political history, and probably most other countries' history too, and 'call me Dave' knows it. If Cameron comes on too strong on policy terms he's going to get turned over, particularly because the handful of BBC Current Affairs people that aren't ideological soul mates of Labour are too scared, post-Gilligan, to pile into Brown in the way they did against Major.

Given the current allegiance of the press, coupled with the capacity of some spectacularly media-ignorant Tories to make themselves a juicy target given half a chance, he's giving Mandy's attack dogs as little to chew on as possible. It's the right strategy but it doesn't make for inspiring politics.

One reform I'd like to see is an end to the dog-whistle, sound-bite reporting of politics and the introduction of some knowledgeable journalists who are not in the pocket of any party. It may be challenging for the commercial media but the BBC have no excuse for their failures in this area since 1997. Come back Brian Walden, all is forgiven.

As far as this payrise is concerned, it's easy to promise if you're never going to be asked to deliver.

Litotes said:
This, they claim, would lift the annual salary of the lowest-paid privates from £16,681 to £22,680.

They are also calling for longer-serving privates and lance corporals to get a £3,000 rise, which would take their average annual pay up to about £25,000.
So, for all the responsibility of running my Bedding Store, I would only earn £3k pa more than Pte Snodgrass who has only just left training?

If that happened, I would hand in my stripe because the responsibility wouldn't be worth the aggro!

Think again, Mr Clegg!

Litotes
Think again Mr Litotes, I can employ a civilian to do the stores job for £14K, and do!!!!! And he/she'll be (is) so thick that they wouldn't know they were getting aggro! Oh, and he/she will be delivering the post too; and picking up the litter and sweeping the leaves that soldiers don't want to do anymore. And don't get me started on guarding and the fact that soldiers don't want to do that anymore either and is a retention issue and the fact we'll be being looked after by Group 4 soon. Makes my blood boil that someone on £16k doesn't want to do guards! I did fucking hundreds in my day, loved every one, even in the rain! I could carry on, but I've got paper to push....

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
Litotes said:

Think again, Mr Clegg!

Litotes
Ignoring the "two desk jockies to each squaddie" bull (something which was discussed on here just last week, in quite some depth), Lits' point was the one other thing that stood out for me. Surely this idea would simply degrade the pay-to-rank boundaries and make promotion less of an incentive? A set raise across the board, fine. Well deserved, keeps up morale for everyone, and still gives Private Jeff a reason to strive for his stripes.

Why cut jobs in an already-overstretched MOD when money can (and indeed must) be freed up all the pointless quangoes and overly-generous welfare system?

Cut 10k jobs in the MOD and you'll be left with no security for the project managers, or no project managers for MOD Plod to look after. Think about it, Clegg, you tit.

Wont someone think of all the desks that will be vacant... and their families?

Oh, the humanity.