Guess the uniform

B

bokkatankie

I know which Regiment he (distant relation of mine) served with but can you work it out:

3a28fb37-5e95-4591-b431-0b776c26a261.jpg

NNC

Edited to add: and his slouch hat looks like it was touched up in post-production. Was that to remove the cap badge?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Imperial Yeomanry in the Boer Woer?

I take it that that's a painted cloth background he's standing in front of and he's not actually an 18th Century Marine?

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
I don't know. I am a very poor wannabe Richard Holmes.

A mounted unit. Boots trousers and bandolier.
Bandolier has single cartridges so guessing not clipped ammo ie smle time. The belt looks like a 1908 webbing belt with a revolver in closed webbing holster? With possible ammo pouch.

Slouch hat could of course be Anzac but maybe brit mounted infantry in South Africa late on. You've just posted British Army.

Horse artillery.

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
Egypt pre Gallipoli campaign. Bandoliers just for the photo?

Artists Rifles

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
Nuts. Go on explain the photo please. When where why. Or do i have to google artists rifles. Plus was he an artist?

CMR?

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
Artists rifles who no doubt were formed up with other territorial units into mounted infantry regiments in the second boer war.

As infantry they had either the mk1 or mkII rifle not a cavalry carbine. Looks like single rounds on the bandolier. I thought the lee enfield was loaded by clips?

It wasn't intended as a definitive statement. For all I know he could be the Mafeking Cadet Corps duty Dog Walloper, and his shotgun got cropped out of the picture. Clearly he rode a horse, but you already stated more than I know when you identified his webbing/bandolier.

B

bokkatankie

OK he was not an Artist, he was 3rd. Volunteer Service Company Norfolk Regiment (now I assume he was mounted infantry but Norfolk Regiment history is sparse or the picture is a bit a of Walter set up), he did 193 days in the Army, 150 overseas in South Africa 1902, he got QSAM with 3 bars:

31794_221468-00242.jpg

Latest Threads