• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Guerrillas in the mists of time....

#1
Guerrillas in the mists of time: Spain remembers its war to end all wars

Two hundred years ago, Napoleon launched an invasion that would change Europe – and warfare – for ever. Now the Spanish are celebrating what some see as their finest hour.

We know it as the Peninsular War; the Spanish call it the War of Independence. We reckon Wellington secured Spain's victory against Napoleon; they say a nation in arms drove out the French invader.

What no one disputes is that the six years of slaughter unleashed upon Spain 200 years ago next month marked the first, decisive reverse in Napoleon's conquest of Europe – the emperor himself admitted "the damned war with Spain was the main cause of all France's misfortunes" – and brought a new term to the vocabulary of war: la guerra de guerrillas, guerrilla warfare.

"Spain defeated the most powerful army in the world, with inestimable British help," says the blurb for the first commemorative exhibition that opened in Madrid this week, mounted by the ministries of Defence and Culture. Pride of place is given to Wellington's field canteen, complete with silver salt cellar and porcelain eggcups.

But the show's title, The Nation in Arms, leaves no doubt that Spain sees Britain's role as supportive rather than decisive. Britons may harrumph that Spain focuses on those bits of the war where Wellington wasn't, but Spaniards complain that we underestimate, even denigrate, the conclusive role played by irregulars, the guerrilleros, revered as skilled and honourable patriots who harried and bogged down Napoleon's great army.

Carl von Clausewitz, the Prussian strategist who distilled his experiences of the Napoleonic Wars into his manual, On War, wrote: "The Spaniards, with their determined struggle, showed that in spite of their weakness, and with simple weapons and methods proper to insurrection, they obtained great results ... The heart and spirit of a nation forms an important factor in the national combative strength. It is to be hoped that governments will make use of this in future wars."

In full

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/e...remembers-its-war-to-end-all-wars-782561.html
 
#2
Very interesting article, the Spanish do have a point, our Army wasnt all over Spain, vast tracts were fought,defended by the Spanish Guerrillas, but whilst they did their bit, unless Wellington etc hadnt defeated the main French Armies, then well Spain would have stayed under French control.

However is nice to see someone else gloating over defeating the French, mind you hasnt everyone :)
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#3
Would have thought that the Portuguese may have got a mention as well since they also fought a guerilla campaign and were very heavily involved in conventional warfighting.
 
#4
armchair_jihad said:
Guerrillas in the mists of time: Spain remembers its war to end all wars

Two hundred years ago, Napoleon launched an invasion that would change Europe – and warfare – for ever. Now the Spanish are celebrating what some see as their finest hour.

We know it as the Peninsular War; the Spanish call it the War of Independence. We reckon Wellington secured Spain's victory against Napoleon; they say a nation in arms drove out the French invader.

What no one disputes is that the six years of slaughter unleashed upon Spain 200 years ago next month marked the first, decisive reverse in Napoleon's conquest of Europe – the emperor himself admitted "the damned war with Spain was the main cause of all France's misfortunes" – and brought a new term to the vocabulary of war: la guerra de guerrillas, guerrilla warfare.

"Spain defeated the most powerful army in the world, with inestimable British help," says the blurb for the first commemorative exhibition that opened in Madrid this week, mounted by the ministries of Defence and Culture. Pride of place is given to Wellington's field canteen, complete with silver salt cellar and porcelain eggcups.

But the show's title, The Nation in Arms, leaves no doubt that Spain sees Britain's role as supportive rather than decisive. Britons may harrumph that Spain focuses on those bits of the war where Wellington wasn't, but Spaniards complain that we underestimate, even denigrate, the conclusive role played by irregulars, the guerrilleros, revered as skilled and honourable patriots who harried and bogged down Napoleon's great army.

Carl von Clausewitz, the Prussian strategist who distilled his experiences of the Napoleonic Wars into his manual, On War, wrote: "The Spaniards, with their determined struggle, showed that in spite of their weakness, and with simple weapons and methods proper to insurrection, they obtained great results ... The heart and spirit of a nation forms an important factor in the national combative strength. It is to be hoped that governments will make use of this in future wars."

In full

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/e...remembers-its-war-to-end-all-wars-782561.html
My bold- balls! Have they never read any Sharpe?
:)
 
#5
Sixty said:
Would have thought that the Portuguese may have got a mention as well since they also fought a guerilla campaign and were very heavily involved in conventional warfighting.
I feel your outrage
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#6
Have the Italians ever defeated the French? What a war that would be:

"2 UN observers where swamped when a Division of Italian soldiers threw down their arms and demanded UN protection. The UN observers where already dealing with 10,000 French soldiers who had 'downed guns' and are demanding to fed pate and French bread washed down with cheap red wine."
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#7
armchair_jihad said:
I feel your outrage
Outrage?

What on earth are you banging on about, you retard? It was an observation, nothing more.
 
#8
Conveniently Forgotten,prior to their "War of Independence", Spain was an ally of France,fighting against England.

Maybe we should go over and celebrate,the Battle of Cape St Vincent,or the Battle of Trafalgar,just to remind the Two Faced Bast**ds,eh? :wink:
 
#9
At least we get a mention, according to the French they liberated Europe on their own in '44 8O
 
#10
Let's be fair, You rarely here of the other nationalities that took part at Waterloo, it was only the British against the French to read most reports.
Apart from the Dutch who Sharpe sorted out LOL)
 
#11
WhiteHorse said:
At least we get a mention, according to the French they liberated Europe on their own in '44 8O
Aint theat the americans?
 
#12
instinct said:
WhiteHorse said:
At least we get a mention, according to the French they liberated Europe on their own in '44 8O
Aint theat the americans?
Trust me, I go to France often and still argue that the Uk and Commonwealth Troops were even there!
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top