Guernsey, Channel Islands - Has anyone been?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Brit_Bulldog, Apr 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm thinking of taking a trip to Guernsey in the next couple of weeks, has anyone been? Any feedback appreciated.

2. Great island for coastal walks,there is a path right round island,unlike Jersey.Boat trips to Herm and Sark recommended as well.As ever in UK,weather makes or breaks holiday.

3. Cheers BH, I was just looking at getting away for 3-4 days. Where did you stay - is there only one major town on the Island?

4. "Major" town - No. St Peter Port is a one Horse Town. If you haven't booked I'd do Jersey as there is more to see. But if you've booked there are worse places to visit for a weekend. Castle Cornet and some of the German fortifications are worth a visit. The rest of the time would be more profitably spent in the pub.

5. Agreed there is more to do on Jersey. If you like concrete gun emplacments Gurnsey your place, is the underground WW2 hospital still open?

6. Was the last time I lived in Jersey.

7. A few ideas for you:

La Valette Underground Military museum, St. Peter Port – 1000-1700, £3.50
    German Underground Hospital and Ammunition Store – St Andrew - July-Aug daily 10.00-12.00 & 14.00-16.30, May-June & Sept daily 10.00-12.00 & 14.00-16.00, Apr-Oct daily 14.00-16.00, Mar & Nov Sun & Thur 14.00-15.00
    German Occupation Museum – Forest - £5.00
    Chateau des Marais – St Sampson – ruined medieval castle – wear stout walking shoes!!
    Hauteville House, St Peter Port (Victor Hugo’s exile home) Mon-Sat 10am-4pm
    Castle Cornet – St Peter Port - daily 10.00-17.00, £9.00
    Saumarez Park & Folk Museum – open daily until dusk – FREE
    Vale Castle – walking shoes as this is a ruin – spectacular views
    Dehus Dolmen – Neolithic tomb and burial chamber

Need more information - please contact me by private message

8. Buy a Gurnsey sweater while you're there. They may be a bit cheaper than in the UK