Guards TA Regiment

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by TheSpecialOne, Apr 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Guards Division official MoD website:

The Guards TA Regiment (The London Regiment). This new addition to the Househlod Division happend in 2006 and has now given the Division its own TA Regiment, this is a welcomed assesset and will enable soldiers from the Guards Battalions and The London Regiment to work along side each other in the future. There is a link to the London Regiments web site at the bottom of this page, which explains their history and how to jion.
    http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/org_role_loc/organisation_of_the_infantry/the_guards_division/index.htm

They even have a badge of the regiment but its a bitmap and can't be shown here

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Who ever did the page might have run it through spell check!

3. I'm not a LONDONer, but I suspect you're wrong about the badge - its the usual Household Div " Seven in One " insignia which is used for all generic blue-red-blue purposes. And the Portcullis insignia on the LONDONS website has been their RHQ's insignia since its inception.

Lots of spelling mistakes on that site, how chippy eh? :wink:

Charlie

4. Oh, come on. They're not called Woodentops for nothing.

5. another typo.

I know that the badge is the HD badge but its also used as the link to the London's website.

6. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

Just a matter of time . . . . . . :?

7. Now that's how to do a TA website!

London Regiment

Unlike my local TA.

Not that it matters anyway :frustrated:

8. Are all the PSIs from the Guards yet?

9. Yes, I'm led to believe they are

10. Not quite yet - B (Queen's Regiment) Company PSI's are PWRR and I believe C (City of London Fusilier) Companys' are still RRF. The London Jocks and London Micks do now have Guards PSIs and several RHQ posts are now filled by Guards Officers and SNCO's.

The badge shown on the website is the Regimental Crest (2nd Type) adopted after the London Regiment was augmented by the two RGJ Companies. The original crest had four unified swords signifying the original four companies in 1993.

11. deleted due to mong typing

12. Time to mention the "Shiny Seventh" battalion of the Londons then. The story in the regimental history goes that early in WW1 the battalion was resting by the roadside when a guards battalion marched past on its way to the trenches. The guards looked at the terriers and their immaculate turnout and jibed that they wouldn't look so pretty once they'd been in the trenches like real soldiers. The Seventh Londons then pointed out that, in fact, they'd just finished a week in the line and were still better turned out than those making the joke and who on their way to the trenches rather than coming back from them :D ...

13. What utter knackers.

14. Which has presumably now been replaced by the story in the regimental history which goes that early in TELIC1 the battalion was resting by the roadside when a guards battalion marched past on its way to the Bank. The guards looked at the terriers and their turnout and jibed that they didn't have a proper job like real soldiers. The Seventh Londons then pointed out that, in fact, they'd just finished two weeks on camp and were still better paid than those making the joke and who on their way to the Bank rather than coming back from there.

15. The regimental history of the 7th Londons tells that they were brigaded with Rifle regiments before the Great War and were the only soldiers with shiny gilt buttons as all of the others had black buttons. It was the riflemen that nicknamed them the Shiny Seventh and it stuck.

Anyone returning from the trenches would have looked like a bag of shoite - no matter who they were.