Guards PARA

Shockwave

On ROPS
On ROPs
Any ideas as to why HCav lads who pass PCoy lose their caobadge and rebadge Para reg with a guards backing?
Why not keep their own cap badge with the maroon lid like the rest of those who pass all arms?

Any ideas as to why HCav lads who pass PCoy lose their caobadge and rebadge Para reg with a guards backing?
Why not keep their own cap badge with the maroon lid like the rest of those who pass all arms?
I didn't know that horses could parachute.

Not just HCav. This applies to all HDIV who go to the Guards platoon and it dates back to the Guards Para Coy, who also wore the Para Regt badge with blue red blue backing.

Boxy

GCM
When did this start? I was with them in 2004 and they still wore their own capbadge

ETA: by them I’m referring to HCR and not Paras so that could explain their own capbadge

Last edited:

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
When did this start? I was with them in 2004 and they still wore their own capbadge
Much better qualified out there can hopefully chip in and correct as necessary. Maybe @par avion ?

My limited understanding is the blue red blue Household Division flash is worn behind the Para Reg cap badge. This goes back to the 1st (Guards) Parachute Battalion during the Second World War. Today, all officers, warrant officers and soldiers of the para platoon don the flash on their berets. Today the platoon sits within 3 PARA.

3C73F80A-7E96-42DD-BF9B-5BB2FB9B0971.jpeg
F9F48E70-DFE1-4709-A3C5-C26F75B6B2E8.jpeg

Last edited:

Bodenplatte

Old-Salt
Mules were successfully parachuted during trials at the Air Transport Development Centre in India in 1944.
Intended for delivery to Chindit columns, but never deployed operationally, though hundreds were flown in by Dakota and Waco gliders.
The sedated, muted animals were strapped to a platform, padded with chambers from inflatable boats, under multiple canopies.

Last edited:

Bodenplatte

Old-Salt
There used to be (yes, 40-odd years ago) a scheme whereby Line infantrymen could go for a single 3 year tour with Para Reg, conditional on P Coy etc.

Quite a large proportion would apply for full transfer at the end of the tour, but by no means all.

Does the scheme still exist ?

ETA: by them I’m referring to HCR and not Paras so that could explain their own capbadge
We’re talking about Guards Platoon in 3 Bn Para. Para trained personnel within HCR wear their HCAV cap badge with a red beret.

Latest Threads