Good day to you all,

I am currently in the proccess of applying for an army scholarship, my Medical report has just been recieved by my CSM, and i would like to know about how likely it is that i will get into the regiment I want to. My top choice is the grenadier guards, followed by the scots guards and then succeeded by the Duke of lancs which is my local regiment. What I would like to know is what are my chances of actually getting into the grenadiers as an officer? I attended state schools for both Primary, Secondary and Tertiary education. My parents are not rich, nor am I as a 16 year old in college with a part time job. So am I less likely to get into the guards because of my background? I have been in the ACF for over 4 years now and recently graduated my senior cadet instructors cadre with a nomination for best cadet on the course as well as being recomended for Master cadet in April 2020. Will my Cadet achievents overrule my backgrund or will I not be accepted because I might not fit in? Asking for anyone who can help me with this.

Thank you in advance, A real Briton

Reposted on new account due to personal details open to public on old one.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Well I’m not repeating my self. So I’ll just cut and paste from the original thread which is still up and running.o_O

Was your name put down for the regiment at your birth? If no then forget it, you won’t like it any way, stuck up bastards one an all.

Merit will decide. On face value - based on your post - you may have to exercise care in describing what a ‘real Briton’ is?
Reference my usename. First one that came to my head as i had to create a new account because i used my real name for my old one. I was simply ending the question, as one signs an email or letter with your name once it is complete and ready to send.

Id say if you are going to feel uncomfortable in a Regiment due to some perceived inferiority , then dont join. Plenty of other Regiments available & im sure your local County Regiment has as distinguished a history as any other.

I remember when I used to drive past their officers mess in Pirbright regularly: Porsche 911 turbo, Lotus Esprit, Renault 5 Turbo 2, along with some other interesting cars parked out there - no secondhand Fiesta's.

I am told it has changed over the years, but anything that potentially brings you into regular contact with the royals is going to be a bit picky about who they let in. Added to which back in the past I was told you needed enough money to fund an active social life in expensive places around the planet along with an unofficial requirement to at least join the Guards Polo Club - checkout how much membership and annual fee's there are. I reiterate; I am told it has changed, whether that is PR or actuality I do not know.

I wish you good luck though wherever you end up going.

I do not believe for one minute that you would be comfortable surrounded by the pink cords and £400 striped shirt brigade. It is probably highly unlikely that you would even get past the first interview, not purely about money don't you know, had you scooped the £100 million on the lottery you still would not get an invite to mummy and papa's shed in the shires.

As said above look towards your common as muck line infantry much more suitable for council estate wallahs.

ugly

LE
I shouldn't worry about family wealth, I work for a retired Life Gds Colonel who didn't have a pot to p1ss in before he married. A thoroughly decent chap and a career soldier.

MayfairJoe

Swinger
Times have changed. Most of the above is nonsense. I know a few former guards officers and none are that posh by RMAS standards. I suspect your age and lack of a degree might be more of an issue than anything else, but give It a go.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Times have changed. Most of the above is nonsense. I know a few former guards officers and none are that posh by RMAS standards. I suspect your age and lack of a degree might be more of an issue than anything else, but give It a go.
Are they Grenadiers? If they are then standards are going down hill.
If this is true then I’m truly shocked and saddened by the imminent demise of The Regiment.

Go on visits. Find a mess you fit into. Try and join that regiment.

I suggest you read The Junior Officer’s Reading Club, which IIRC was chiefly Grenadier. If that blizzard of pretentious doggerel and those who it portrays doesn’t put you off, then you deserve everything you get.

Don't forget to be the height of society fashion and wear red socks when you attend the interview, well those or brown shoes.........marks you out as different.

chimera

LE
My question to you is simply to ask why you want to join the Grenadier Guards? I sense, from you opening post, that you would not enjoy it, and neither you or the Army will get the best from it. Go for your local Regiment, or something like the Parachute Regiment, and you will have a far more worthwhile experience.

I shouldn't worry about family wealth, I work for a retired Life Gds Colonel who didn't have a pot to p1ss in before he married. A thoroughly decent chap and a career soldier.
It seems as though he might have married advantageously, reading into your post.,

I suggest you read The Junior Officer’s Reading Club, which IIRC was chiefly Grenadier. If that blizzard of pretentious doggerel and those who it portrays doesn’t put you off, then you deserve everything you get.
Abso bl##dy lutely.
A complete pile of unadulterated trash which I sincerely hope does not reflect on the Grens but probably does.

Join the Gunners . It has a social hierarchy , some regiments being posher than others , with the King's Troop being at the top of the pile , plus you can do either the All Arms Commando or Parachute courses and join the appropriate regiments if that's your thing , or there's FOO roles as well which are all sneaky beaky type stuff , or if you're sports oriented , they have lots of that as well .

Join the Gunners . It has a social hierarchy , some regiments being posher than others , with the King's Troop being at the top of the pile , plus you can do either the All Arms Commando or Parachute courses and join the appropriate regiments if that's your thing , or there's FOO roles as well which are all sneaky beaky type stuff , or if you're sports oriented , they have lots of that as well .
As a REME CET who spent most of his time with the RA I second the above.
I found no snobbery or side with their officers and had a grand time.

Latest Threads