Guards Officer class?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Mazur_UK, Jul 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently looking at (among other things) joining the Grenadier Guards. I was thinking of going in as a soldier but at college I am getting and predicted good enough grades to go officer. The problem is that I am not posh. If I went in as an officer would I be immediatly alienated for not being 'one of them'?

Also all my mates in the army are all rankers and I don't want to alienate myself from them or have to pay huge mess bills which (as a not-really-middle-class bloke) I would not be able to afford..

Any opinions?
  2. Removed by me
  3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Go have a look at the huge thread in the officers forum. Do a touch of research, go on lots of Fam visits and make a decision for yourself. There is only one person who can answer that question - YOU.

You will go on a Fam Visit one day and decide that this is the Regt/Corps for you.

You need to make that decision - bugger me sunshine, if you get in - those whom you lead will be looking at you earnestly to make the right ones becuase irrespective of being in barracks, on exercise or on ops - it is their lives that are about to be affected by your decision.
  4. ok thanks for the advice guys
  5. Do you go out on the King's road in London? Do you wear naff suits and shoes? A respective 'yes' and 'no' to these questions would probably mean you would be suitable as a Guards Officer! Look around and see who you get on with when you do the Fam visits.
  6. Not sure about the "posh" bit when wanting to be an officer. You may be alienated by a few, but you'd have more respect from the troops not being "posh".

Not everybody gets out the bath when they want a p!ss. And so long as your missus don't walk about in green wellies, green tights, body warmer, barbour jkt, and wear one of those silly headbands you'll be ok.

B_T :lol:
  7. Great advice from Mysteron. You need to find out more about what each Regiment is like. There is no doubt that in some Regiments are more expensive to live in than others, for a number of reasons.
  8. ok ta again guys
  9. May I ask what drew you towards the Gren Guards in the first place?
    Is there some sort of connection or is it the only unit you know of?
  10. When I asked a recruiter if Guards Regiments recruit in certain areas he said that they do and that the Gren's recruit in my area - Cambs
  11. but what drew you to the guards? It doesn't affect me as your not in my Reg recruiting area (not that this matters to be honest) but just interested?
  12. but what drew you to the guards? It doesn't affect me as your not in my Reg recruiting area (not that this matters to be honest) but just interested?
  13. Contrary to what some assert, the brutal reality is that without "private means" you'll have a hard time keeping up with the lifestyle of the average Foot Guards officer. Don't believe a word of anyone who says otherwise.
  14. GRENADIER OFFICER, dont do it unless you want to blow your credibility, and your name is the Right honorable Tarquin worthington-smyhte- king of littlehampton and 3rd Baron of sussex.
    to be serious, I served in the ranks and can count on the fingers of one hand the officers i respect. Nco's and ranks are top blokes though.
  15. For what it is worth, in my opinion, soldier recruiting areas do not necessarily have a bearing on officer recruiting. If you look at the threads in the Officers forum they will give you some idea of what you should be thinking about when choosing a regiment.