Guards height

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by syledis, Apr 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some of the Guards bandies seemed to be a little on the short side today, i thought there used to be a minimum height requirement for the Guards. Is this still the case, or is it only for the actual Infantry and not the band?

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Nope Dwarfs and Pigmys can join now
    I think only Prince Of Wales Company Welsh Guards have a height requirement

3. Pretty sure you answered your own question there.

4. Yes, but not for bandies, obviously.

Or they're cadets from badged units; you never know.

5. Pretty sure he did'nt

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Women in the band as well IIRC

7. Fair one, didnt read thoroughly,scanned over bandies part.

8. i did a stint with 1CG LAD, and i was expecting it to be land of the giants. I was in 3 Coy Ftrs and i was the tallest in the entire company. mind you, 3 Coy had a reputation as the dumping ground for the nutters and wasters. good bunch though

9. Arrse user 5.56mm is a Grenadier and he's so titchy he could drown in a puddle. So probably not.

10. I think the Guards did away with the height thing, due to lack of recruits.

Bands are now Corps' of Army Musicians (CAMus), although they are badged to a Regiment (Guards/Rifles/RGR/Para), Div (King's, Queen's, PoW and Duke of Wellingtons) or Corps'.

RGR is a bit of special case, but other than that any one in the CAMus can move n and out of the various bands based on their musical abilities.

11. Talking about bandpersons don't see many of them on the tranche 1 list

12. Suggest you read the Tranche 1 list again then.

If you have seen it in the first place... look under CAMus.

13. Like I said not as many as good saving could be made. Apart from RM bands how many others have done a full Op tour laterly?

14. Can't name it, but bandsmen deployed with us, they were on our OPTAG. Think they mooched around in BSN hospital and at LKG. Not sure, but I know they weren't playing with their instruments.

Is this going to be one of those, 'let's get rid of the bands because I am jealous of their musical ability/lifestyle and havn't a fcuking clue what they do?' type arguements?

Read the DIN, tranche 1 contains quite a number of musicians, if you take in to account the size of their Corps in the first place.

15. No everyone should have a pet one