Guards Division Selection Criteria

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Sweeters2004, Jun 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I am new to the site so please go easy on me.

I am 23 years old and currently living in London. I have recently submitted my Officer Application Form and have been given a date for interview. I am extremely keen to join the Guards division, more specifically the Grenadier Guards, and I was just wondering if anybody knew the selection criteria for the Guards Division?

I went to public school, got good A Levels and a good degree (2:1 BSc from University of Birmingham). Do they look for a specific type of person or is it more a case of 'if you fit in and meet the standard required, we take you'?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
  2. Were you bummed at public school?
  3. Not to my knowledge!! Other things tend to go on at public schools besides bumming!
  4. pff. Sounds like rubbish if you ask me ;)

To get into the Guards, you first want to get into the Army. Go to Westbury, do AOSB Briefing / Main Board. Either in parallel to this process, or between it and Sandhurst, get onto familiarisation visits, and if possible get an interview arranged with the specific units that you are interested in. (Your careers advisor / officer should be able to help you with this). Basically, they look at you, see if you are the kind of person that they like, you look at them and see if they are the kind of people that you like - you will be living with these guys, you want to make sure that you fit in nicely. If you impress they may offer you sponsorship. (Which nowadays is a largely nominal thing, but it can't hurt)

Then you get to Sandhurst. Choice of Arm process takes a bit of time, you'll have interviews, visits, they'll look at your CV and pay particular attention to the reports written about you whilst at Sandhurst. Then they'll give a thumbs up/down decision.

So, to answer the question: you don't need any specific qualifications above and beyond getting into the Army, period. Much of it is whether or not "your face fits", and how you perform at Sandhurst.
  5. Bingo! After all the crap I've read on arrse about this subject, at last, someone who knows what they're talking about!!!!

6. Best thing to do is send your man, let him sort out the ghastly details, leaving you to enjoy a lovely GnT! If you dont have a man for this sort of thing then quite frankly your not going to fit in!

PS - dont forget to war some riddiculous coloured trousers!
  7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

'Riddiculous (sic) coloured trousers' are more of a minor public school/line cav thing in my experience. I'm not sure if the Grenadiers would be too impressed.

The bottom line is that selection criteria for the Grenadiers is not that much different to that for other infantry regiments. It basically comes down to:

1. Is this person any good?

2. Will he fit in?

Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't mean you have to be an Old Etonian/own half of Northamptonshire/have a private income etc etc.
  8. cpunk, very useful. That is what I had heard to be honest. Good to know you don't have to own land (because I don't!!)
  9. This is the exact thing I've been looking for, I'm 14 but I'm already interested in a career in the military and have been thinking about lots of regiments but now I just really want to join the grenadier guards, and want advice about what there looking for and fitness needed ?
  10. A very good friend of mine is a Captain in the Gren guards. If he can get in, then so can you (though he does have a very posh accent, which probably helped)
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Is he a sick depraved perv too?
    Only asking because if he is really a very good friend then there is no other thing he could be!
  12. He's a true gent, naturally ;)
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Nuff said, shuffles off into the corner of a darkened room!
    • Like Like x 2