• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Guards Band Forced to Return Early from Australian Tour

News just breaking on Sky:

The Guard's band, which was touring Australia, has been forced to return to the UK after completing only a third of their planned program.

Apparently the hotel and transport bills have not been paid, and the remaining hotels have canceled the tour, due to lack of payment.

The transport companies have retained the band's instruments until the bill is paid!!

Great PR exercise by the MOD!

No links available yet but the story is covered in tomorrow's Sun.

Arn't the bandies medics? and arn't most of the Guards and the Household Cav either in Iraq and Afganisan at the moment? should'nt the band be there as well acting as medics and orderlies?

Unbeleivable. Someone's arrse needs a good kicking and be held properly to account (or will it just be "massaged" away in true/typical Household Division fashion?).

If this is true it sounds awful! Had the good fortune to see the Band of the Welsh Guards play at Sydney Opera House 3 years ago, and the tickets were very expensive, now granted the SOH and the other venues take a huge percentage, as does the other 3rd party middle men and organizers, but surely there is more than enough money to finance the rest of the tour costs etc?
Another embarrassment for the UK on the international scene, its sad.

Or maybe it is because the investors/backers of the event(s) could not fufil their part of the bargain and let everyone down, including the blokes on the ground, those who wrote the contracts etc!!??

This is no huge surprise really.

Anyone reading this doing Open University should prepare for a shock as well. I have it on good authority that none of those bills have been paid either.

If there is no money in the pot, it's very difficult to spend it!

It has nothing to do with the Bands themselves or even the MOD (this time). The organisers of the whole tour, which was to see the band, along with many others from across the world (Canada, New Zealand etc) perform at a number of tattoos across Australia; fail to pay any of the bills (hotels, transport, venues etc).

The whole series of concerts has been cancelled and the company supposedly running it has been wound up by court order.

So on this occaision, it was nothing to do with the any of the MOD or Guards Band's organisation. (But why let the truth get in the way of a good story).

This was mentioned to me last week by a mate living in Oz. The Rifles band are on the same tour. The tour was I believe organised and supposedly paid for by a company so in this case it would appear not to be an MOD c*ck up.

It was reported in the Aus papers as I wrote it earlier and I'm still waiting to get my ticket money back as all the accounts are frozen prior to the bankrupcy hearing (well at least that's what the nice lady on the phone told me).

Don't think that has anything to do with the MOD.

(Christ, I don't believe I'm defending the Bloody MOD)

For once this c*ckup had nothing to do with either the MoD or the Corps of Army Music.

Apparently the organisers went bust so none of the bills got paid. As far as I know all personnel are back in the country and so are their instruments and kit.

The Scum report it here.

Edited to add my favourite quote from the article:
For them to have been chucked out of a Commonwealth country like a load of criminals is appalling.
Surely criminals don't get chucked out of Oz?

BLU-97 said:
It has nothing to do with the Bands themselves or even the MOD (this time). The organisers of the whole tour, which was to see the band, along with many others from across the world (Canada, New Zealand etc) perform at a number of tattoos across Australia; fail to pay any of the bills (hotels, transport, venues etc).

The whole series of concerts has been cancelled and the company supposedly running it has been wound up by court order.

So on this occaision, it was nothing to do with the any of the MOD or Guards Band's organisation. (But why let the truth get in the way of a good story).
BLU, thanks for clearing that up, and thanks to Tubby for the link!

I am somewhat relieved that this appears to be the fault of the promoters rather than Whitehall, but as usual the Murdoch School of reporting has been slightly hazy with the facts!

In full:

NINETY Queen’s bandsmen on a tour of Australia have been kicked out of the country — because they could not pay their bills.

A series of fundraising concerts ended in disaster when their Aussie promoter went bust and pulled the plug.

The cash-strapped musicians — who often play state ceremonies in front of Her Majesty — had no money to pay their hotel bill, so were thrown on to the street.

A freight firm has also confiscated the two bands’ instruments AND uniforms until a debt said to be thousands of pounds is settled.

The musicians — from The Grenadier Guards and The Rifles — were only a third of the way through a tour of Sydney, Brisbane and Perth.

When creditors including freight firm Pinnacle Entertainment threatened to call cops, the bandsmen alerted the British High Commission in capital Canberra.

It promised the debts would be settled, and arranged flights back to the UK. The musicians flew back, but are twiddling their thumbs on indefinite leave as they have no instruments.

A source at the Corps of Army Music said: “The Grenadiers and the Rifles are two of the best bands we have.

“They were not only representing their service, but also the nation.

“For them to have been chucked out of a Commonwealth country like a load of criminals is appalling.

“There’s never been anything like it. It’s reduced the Army to a laughing stock.”

The Grenadier Guards — based at Wellington Barracks, Central London — played at Trooping the Colour and the Queen’s 80th birthday lunch last year.

The Winchester-based Rifles has impressed crowds at the Edinburgh Tattoo.

The Foreign Office said yesterday: “The Army bands were there as part of a tour organised by a commercial promoter who, we understand, had financial issues.

“The High Commission made arrangements to help the band members return to the UK.”

An MoD spokesman said: “We are not prepared to discuss commercial matters. We can confirm that there was a contract between the department and the promoter and insurance for this tour was in place.”

lsquared said:
Of course I do not know if this story is factual, but it sounds very much like Bliar's Britain to me.
Well done Lsquared - blame Your political enemies no matter what the evidence to the contrary

:wink:

Sven said:
lsquared said:
Of course I do not know if this story is factual, but it sounds very much like Bliar's Britain to me.
Well done Lsquared - blame Your political enemies no matter what the evidence to the contrary

Boys, boys! Squabbling agane??

This story, if not a joke, definitely falls into the Thundering Disgrace category. What a way to run an army!

caubeen said:
Sven said:
lsquared said:

Boys, boys! Squabbling agane??

This story, if not a joke, definitely falls into the Thundering Disgrace category. What a way to run an army!

Caubeen

I advert You to Blu Rays post

"It has nothing to do with the Bands themselves or even the MOD (this time). . . .
. . . . . . . The whole series of concerts has been cancelled and the company supposedly running it has been wound up by court order."

It would appear that it is fact and not the fault of the MoD

To me, this stinks of The corps of army music...... They have managed to totally screw up all the Guards Bands over the last few years.
Death to the Corps of Army Music.

seanbean said:
Unbeleivable. Someone's arrse needs a good kicking and be held properly to account (or will it just be "massaged" away in true/typical Household Division fashion?).
Please could you explain what you mean in the bit that I've emboldened? Cheers.

Latest Threads