Guards Band Forced to Return Early from Australian Tour

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gremlin, May 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

News just breaking on Sky:

The Guard's band, which was touring Australia, has been forced to return to the UK after completing only a third of their planned program.

Apparently the hotel and transport bills have not been paid, and the remaining hotels have canceled the tour, due to lack of payment.

The transport companies have retained the band's instruments until the bill is paid!!

Great PR exercise by the MOD!

No links available yet but the story is covered in tomorrow's Sun.
  2. More like a Household Division cock up...................
  3. Arn't the bandies medics? and arn't most of the Guards and the Household Cav either in Iraq and Afganisan at the moment? should'nt the band be there as well acting as medics and orderlies?
  4. Unbeleivable. Someone's arrse needs a good kicking and be held properly to account (or will it just be "massaged" away in true/typical Household Division fashion?).
  5. If this is true it sounds awful! Had the good fortune to see the Band of the Welsh Guards play at Sydney Opera House 3 years ago, and the tickets were very expensive, now granted the SOH and the other venues take a huge percentage, as does the other 3rd party middle men and organizers, but surely there is more than enough money to finance the rest of the tour costs etc?
    Another embarrassment for the UK on the international scene, its sad.
  6. Or maybe it is because the investors/backers of the event(s) could not fufil their part of the bargain and let everyone down, including the blokes on the ground, those who wrote the contracts etc!!??
  7. This is no huge surprise really.

Anyone reading this doing Open University should prepare for a shock as well. I have it on good authority that none of those bills have been paid either.

If there is no money in the pot, it's very difficult to spend it!
  8. It has nothing to do with the Bands themselves or even the MOD (this time). The organisers of the whole tour, which was to see the band, along with many others from across the world (Canada, New Zealand etc) perform at a number of tattoos across Australia; fail to pay any of the bills (hotels, transport, venues etc).

The whole series of concerts has been cancelled and the company supposedly running it has been wound up by court order.

So on this occaision, it was nothing to do with the any of the MOD or Guards Band's organisation. (But why let the truth get in the way of a good story).
  9. Of course I do not know if this story is factual, but it sounds very much like Bliar's Britain to me.
  10. Apparently......
  11. This was mentioned to me last week by a mate living in Oz. The Rifles band are on the same tour. The tour was I believe organised and supposedly paid for by a company so in this case it would appear not to be an MOD c*ck up.
  12. It was reported in the Aus papers as I wrote it earlier and I'm still waiting to get my ticket money back as all the accounts are frozen prior to the bankrupcy hearing (well at least that's what the nice lady on the phone told me).

Don't think that has anything to do with the MOD.

(Christ, I don't believe I'm defending the Bloody MOD)
  13. For once this c*ckup had nothing to do with either the MoD or the Corps of Army Music.

Apparently the organisers went bust so none of the bills got paid. As far as I know all personnel are back in the country and so are their instruments and kit.

The Scum report it here.

Edited to add my favourite quote from the article:
    Surely criminals don't get chucked out of Oz?
  14. There is a simple explanation......JPA!
  15. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

BLU, thanks for clearing that up, and thanks to Tubby for the link!

I am somewhat relieved that this appears to be the fault of the promoters rather than Whitehall, but as usual the Murdoch School of reporting has been slightly hazy with the facts!

In full: