Guards and Deployments

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Sir Oracle, Nov 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all,

I'm having trouble deciding between going for the Irish Guards or the Royal Irish Regiment (I'm from the Republic, incidentally).

I'm planning to go for a commission, but not to make a full career out of it (maybe 5-7 years).

I've heard the Guards two two years on, two years off (i.e. two years on active duty folllowed by two years doing ceremonial stuff). Is this the case?

My big worry is that if I go into the Micks, I could spend two thirds of my time just doing ceremonial stuff, maybe never getting deployed.

I've heard that the RIR, on the other hand, tend to be pretty busy, being (for the moment) in 16AA, so there's a good chance my years in the Army would be interesting ones.

Basically, do the Guards get deployed any less than RIR, or is it exactly the same, just with extra ceremonial duties?
  2. The two years operational two year ceremonial isn't actually how it normally works out.

For example the Grenadier deployed to Bosnia from Windsor in 2004-2005.
    We then moved to Aldershot early 2006 and then deployed to Iraq.
    We got back from Iraq in September 2006 and deployed to Afghanistan in March 2007.
    We moved to London early in 2009 and then deployed to Afghanistan from London 2009-2010.
    The Bn then moved from London back to Aldershot in 2011 and we have just returned from Afghanistan.

The Welsh Guards also deployed on H16 from Hounslow and I believe the Coldstream Guards are deploying on their next tour from Windsor.

The Guards to a lot of PDs when in London District but we also did/do a lot of training and over seas exercises.

With the draw down in Afghanistan looming I'd look at more factors than whether your chosen regiment will deploy more than another as a basis for making your choice.
  3. As Crow_Bag says, even during your stints on PDs you will still pull operational tours.
  4. Thanks, that's a great help! So in practise, Guards tend (or, at least while Afghanistan was going on) to get deployed even if they're on ceremonial duty? Grand.

Chances are they'll be well into the drawdown in 2014 by the time I get in (or, at least, the Micks might very well not be sent back around that time).

What other factors are you referring to?
  5. I'm not an Offcier so I'm not sure what people normally look at when choosing a regiment, if you have a look around the regular officer recruitment board there's normally a few good posts to give you an idea.
  6. Thanks, will do!
  7. Go Royal Irish if you want to soldier, go IG if you're a D-Day dodger.
  8. There fixed for you, free of charge.
  9. Go on, I give in Red Trousers?
  10. Guards officers: when in 'mufti', or trying to be civpop for NI training back in the day, a coy of Mick Guards with 4 officers all wearing red ******* trousers and shirts and accents so posh you could cut glass with them, admittedly we were all west coasters so we could understand 'Oirish' folk but anywhere south of Newcastle and we were in need of 'terps'.

Just to be clear the shirts were not red, just the ******* wierd strides.....................
  11. If you're implying the Household Division don't go on tour as often as other units then I refer you to my first post.

My Bn alone have been on tour on 7 of the last 9 years.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  12. No, just IG
  13. Yeah, they don't go anywhere do they?

More recently, the Irish Guards were involved in the Balkan conflict and the Iraq War, Afghanistan with 16th Air Assault brigade and provided security for the London 2012 Olympics.
    The Irish Guards led the British advance in to Basra and was the first into the city on the 6th April hours before the Parachute Regiment.
    In 2013 they will be deployed to Afghanistan and are also providing a security force in Bosnia.
  14. 2010/11 Afghanistan

Prior to that

2007 Iraq

The Olympics don't count.
  15. By comparison, would RIR have been deployed more frequently than that?