Guards - 1960s Documentary

Fcukin' Gleaming!!!!

A tear in the eye, an ache in the heels and knees. Those were the days..........weren't they :?

Inky

inkerman7492 said:
Fcukin' Gleaming!!!!

A tear in the eye, an ache in the heels and knees. Those were the days..........weren't they :?

Inky
Not surprising we have knackered backs and knees, and there were some familiar faces lurking in the shadows!

Classic stuff, hard to tell, but was that all at the depot, ie D lines as it was then, or was some of it elsewhere?

I remember the assault course very well, shame they didnt show the sand hill and the 4 sisters.

Such a shame the old depot now lets all the dross train there :(

para_medic said:
PappaRat posted these on a very different thread. :salut:
It's a wonderful 1960's documentary on the Guards:
Top notch

Mint

Thrilling :!:

All I can say is that ******* and I mean ******* BRILLIANT!!

what I meant to say is that, that was fcuking, and I mean Fcuking BRILLIANT!!

One night in the 1990's I was sleeping in a bilet in B lines, me and a mate had a one of the rooms to our selves. during the night I had movement and crying down the end of the billet. Looking down I could see someone cleaning there boots by torch light under the blankets, I put it down to one of the recruits coming in and went back to sleep. Woke up the following morning and there was no one there, my mate had heard the same thing. ghost? dream? who knows but bloody spooky.

Trotsky

Gren said:
Classic stuff, hard to tell, but was that all at the depot, ie D lines as it was then, or was some of it elsewhere?

I remember the assault course very well, shame they didnt show the sand hill and the 4 sisters.

Such a shame the old depot now lets all the dross train there :(
Weird, I was describing the "fun" we had on the March & Shoots when I was a crow in 78 tot eh wife only the other day!!

Fun times on Adair Walk with KFS grasped firmly behind the back and right arm shoulder high on the way to dinner.

"leadership is about maintaining a mystique" :roll:

...maintaining a mystery!

I thoroughly enjoyed the documentary funny thing is that I'd rather forgotten just what a***holes most officers were then. Of course with NI ops and changing conditions in the UK, things progressively changed for the better (or perhaps it was because I was creeping up the greasy pole!)

Thanks for the point to the site!

I thought the officers in the documentary where emblematic of the British army character that made it what it was, stiff upper-lip, deference, unquestionable loyalty totally alien in today's me me me world.

I bet there are still corners of the army that have such fine officers.

I really enjoyed watching those so my thanks to the original poster for that. The clips from Borneo and South Arabia were priceless (interesting to note that the Gdsm in Aden were wearing their No.1 hats with their Khaki Drill, slashed peaks and all!) as was the comments from the officers on the recurring topic of social class. It really was a different age and I think that you'd be hard pressed to find attitudes like that in any Officers' Mess today.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R RAC 38
A The NAAFI Bar 18
H Films, Music and All Things Artsy 1