Guardian/Simon Mann Walt Alliance

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
thatchers mind was gone by then but she wouldn't have gone for that, she was putting weight on because she couldn't remember how many chocolates she had eaten FFS

mark would have conned her into anything though with his dad dead, the guy is a complete tool. like dianas brother I expect a really shit eulogy off him.

Mark Thatcher, grade one c*+*
The book My friend the mercenary by James Brazabon is a decent read talks a lot about that whole coup farce and knocks Simon Mann a fair bit too.

Edited- swearing, forgot where I was for a minute.

Mann's description of his conversation with Lady Thatcher reads like very poor fiction. A spitting image version of Margaret Thatcher speak. Mann should know better, his hatred of Mark Thatcher seems to be causing him to lose his grasp of reality.
Mark Thatcher is not a ****, a **** is useful he isn't. He's a bastard of the first rank, a creature without any redeeming features whatsoever and I've been acquainted with this inhabitant of the vilest sewer since I was twelve years old.
Respect for his mother and knowledge of the distress it would cause her if anything happened to him held people back while she was alive, with her gone Thatcher should be very frightened indeed.

How Mann ever conceived the idea of equiping in Zimbabwe is beyond the understanding of anyone with the most minimal knowledge of Africa. Too much time spent drinking Cape red in Constancia must have seriously affected his thought processes.

But his offhand manner later in describing his problem as a mere trifle ?
If you knew this arrogant, ignorant vain, foul mannered guttersnipe you would have been astonished only if he'd produced any other reaction. With him only that reaction could have been expected.
He should have been dropped back where he was found and told if he found his problem so trifling prove it by making his own way, without help, back to civilisation. For food he could have been equipped with a trifle, more than fitting.

A lot of the stuff in Mann's book is to say the least questionable, especially when you compare his account of the early days of Executive Outcomes with that of Eeben Barlow.

See here too:

Eeben Barlow's Military and Security Blog: SEPARATING FACT FROM FICTION

Then there is the Simon Mann myth: Despite the claims, he was never a founder-member let alone even a member of EO. Nor was he ever the “close friend” of mine as some journalists and bloggers claim he was. In fact, I would have been ashamed to have had him as a senior member of the company. But this never stopped him from insinuating that he was in some manner or form the founder of the company. On his latest adventure, he apparently even recruited men by somehow intimating that he was doing it on behalf of EO. But, talk is one thing and look where it got him.

Genuinely don't know ~ how come he's a Sir? Is it one of those hereditry things?
When she retired, she wangled a Baronetcy for Denis, knowing that it would in due course pass to Mark and then to one of his freckle-faced American offspring. What Denis thought of being a vehicle for his son - of whom he is reputed to have harboured a somewhat austere opinion - to inherit a title he could never have hoped to earn, is sadly not recorded.

Was she starting to go a bit, you know, mad even at that early stage?
Her memory was going and she had got rather grand; hardly the same thing as egging on madcap mercenary expeditions inspired by a Frederick Forsyth novel. Unless she'd been reduced to drooling imbecility - and in which case would hardly be responsible for her actions anyway - her political instincts were too sharp to get involved in that sort of stupidity.

So, baldcossack, I'm getting the feeling that you're not really all that matey with Sir Mark Thatcher.
I'm relieved (and delighted) you picked up my feelings for Mark Thatcher. I was a little concerned that my language was too moderate and may have failed to convey my utter, absolute detestation and contempt for that truly despicable creature.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm relieved (and delighted) you picked up my feelings for Mark Thatcher. I was a little concerned that my language was too moderate and may have failed to convey my utter, absolute detestation and contempt for that truly despicable creature.
I wish you would get off that fence BC, you will just get splinters in your arrse!

A lot of the stuff in Mann's book is to say the least questionable, especially when you compare his account of the early days of Executive Outcomes with that of Eeben Barlow.

See here too:

Eeben Barlow's Military and Security Blog: SEPARATING FACT FROM FICTION
Eeben Barlow knows southern Africa, its features, its tribes, those tribes alliances and enmities, its ways, its personalities and politics etc etc in a way that only those who grew up there can possibly know it. Its hopeless turning up as Mann did at the age he was and expecting to gain a lifetimes knowledge in a few months.
For sure Mann knew his way around bottles of Cape red in the comforts of Constancia drawing rooms. As he discovered it was very far from being enough.