Guardian letters page 23.12.06

And a good point!!! :D

Simple fact is most of the chavs and other under achievers don't know what a real hero is. Hence they pay homage to whatever "hero" some one puts in front of them (normally for a price such as new sports kit every 6 months or similar). Whilst Kylie has done much in battleing cancer and raising awareness of the infliction, I doubt others on the list will have done even that much.

Kira Cochrane (Best of the best, December 20) purports to celebrate the extraordinary achievements of remarkable women in 2006. I have no complaint about the inclusion of such women as Kylie Minogue and Coretta Scott King, but was shocked to see no mention of one extremely brave young woman, who was surely deserving of inclusion. Private Michelle Norris, a British army medic, became the first female ever to be awarded the Military Cross - the third highest military decoration for bravery. In Iraq, on June 11, Michelle left the safety of her armoured vehicle and braved heavy enemy fire to treat her vehicle commander, who had been shot in the face during an ambush. Ms Cochrane may regard the achievements of a "fat, funny feminist" or the X-factor winner as "extraordinary" - but I am astonished she did not even mention this humbling feat of bravery. Pte Norris is undoubtedly a far more remarkable woman than many who made the list; her peers acknowledge her unique achievement.
Well done to Michelle Norris and CRMCR. 8)
Public criticism of Kira Cochrane printed in the paper she works for, Ooohh I do like that!!! :D

Who is Kira Cochrane any way?

Kylie I know but who is Coretta Scott King as well?

Well done CR! :D

Scabster_Mooch said:
Omg - I guess that's someone's persec completely demolished then...
fuck it, it's worth it to get back at kira. although they edited my last sentence to remove criticism of her. it actually finished "... even if Ms Cochrane felt she was undeserving." sneaky fuckers.

sure she doesn't care what is posted on here, but would have been hard to ignore criticism in her own rag :)

oh and they spelt my name wrong too. it is actually Corporal Jiminy Cricket lol

BUMP
Just to get people on the phone its only 15p a call!!
Priam said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/midlandstoday/features/2006/midlander_of_year06.shtml

Stolen from another thread to increase publicity!

Michelle Norris is in the last 5 people to win the Midlander of the year award!

To vote for Michelle call 09015 225 104

B

Biscuits_AB

Priam said:
Kira Cochrane (Best of the best, December 20) purports to celebrate the extraordinary achievements of remarkable women in 2006. I have no complaint about the inclusion of such women as Kylie Minogue and Coretta Scott King, but was shocked to see no mention of one extremely brave young woman, who was surely deserving of inclusion. Private Michelle Norris, a British army medic, became the first female ever to be awarded the Military Cross - the third highest military decoration for bravery. In Iraq, on June 11, Michelle left the safety of her armoured vehicle and braved heavy enemy fire to treat her vehicle commander, who had been shot in the face during an ambush. Ms Cochrane may regard the achievements of a "fat, funny feminist" or the X-factor winner as "extraordinary" - but I am astonished she did not even mention this humbling feat of bravery. Pte Norris is undoubtedly a far more remarkable woman than many who made the list; her peers acknowledge her unique achievement.
Well done to Michelle Norris and CRMCR. 8)
Public criticism of Kira Cochrane printed in the paper she works for, Ooohh I do like that!!! :D

Maybe they've been reading 'poets corner' in the NAAFI.

Well done CRMCR!!!!

If I were you though, I'd start deleting any controversal comments you've made on arrse!!!!! :D

(Note to self: DO NOT write a letter with my full name on it and let it be known on arrse that I'm writing said letter). ;)

the_matelot said:
Well done CRMCR!!!!

If I were you though, I'd start deleting any controversal comments you've made on arrse!!!!! :D

(Note to self: DO NOT write a letter with my full name on it and let it be known on arrse that I'm writing said letter). ;)
no need mucker. i always write on the assumption that everybody knows exactly who i am anyway, and don't put anything i wouldn't be happy to defend in person. keeps me on the straight and narrow :)

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
no need mucker. i always write on the assumption that everybody knows exactly who i am anyway, and don't put anything i wouldn't be happy to defend in person. keeps me on the straight and narrow :)
Wise move and one I agree with. I've left PLENTY of clues on here for people to know who I am...

That way, I can't drop myself in the shite (well, not too much anyway :D)

the_matelot said:
Well done CRMCR!!!!

CR seious head time now, that was undoubtedly one of the most heartfelt letters I have seen in a long time. Its a real shame that the Armed Forces are so out of favour with the media these days, thus achievements like Pte Norris don't get the recognition they deserve. Ms Cochrane and her like need to get a lesson in reality. I echo Matelots comments re persec mate. Have a great Christmas.

Excellent letter CR. I wonder if the unlovely Kira will note, whilst trawling these boards for more out of context quotes for her 'hate' page, that it was from an Arrser - I do hope so.

Are we to be suprised at Ms Cochranes' reporting, disappointed yes, but suprised that she over looked the first MC to a female no.

You would think looking at some of her other articles that this would be a main story for her. Wimmins issues etc but sadly not.

Well done Pte Norris MC.

Well done CRMCR for highlighting this oversight.

Kira Cochrane - why do we bother.