Guardian journalist kidnapped in Iraq.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Awol, Oct 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just announced on BBC radio news.

I wonder how much empathy the Guardian will have with the 'oppressed peoples of Iraq' that are 'driven to do these things by Western imperialism etc etc etc' if his head ends up on a plate?

2. What's the journalist's name?

3. Carroll is their resident correspondent in Iraq.

4. http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1594506,00.html

Who do you think would not like such a report?

5. So, you reckon the SPAMs have offed him then Serg? Bit 'Cold War' that isn't it?

6. Do you think those that hack off heads as a way of making their point, are interested in the subtleties of British newspaper political affiliations? The bloke is a westerner, as was the nurse that had devoted her life to the people of Iraq. The one that they shot in the back of the head.

I hope the bloke gets out okay, but if he was rescued by say, a few tanks crashing through the walls of a police station, I wonder what the Guardian's position would be?

7. No, I don't mean that our American friends could even think about kidnapping of British journalist. I simply ask natural questions

Cui bono? Cui prodest? - Good for whom? Whom does it benefit?

Let's look at another recent article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1594696,00.html

So Americans exposed in a positive light but Shia 'death squads' in police uniforms probably would not like this article.

8. I suspect that he may now be an embed with the terrorists.

9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

If this weren't a serious matter, I'd be chuckling over that one.

10. I hope the guy gets out OK, but journos (especially lefty ones) do give the impression that they think that their politics give them some sort of armour against reality. Which is that he's a Westerner and a non-believer.

V!

11. Or kidnapped by Sadrist supporters, after all he was on assignment in Sadr City (Baghdad) and the press had reported that the sadrists wanted to kidnap British hostages in retaliation for events in Basra.

12. I agree that there were many random kidnappings in Iraq. Some individuals were absolutely unimportant from political point of view. But as to journalists then it is strange enough - maily journalists from openly anti-war editions were kidnapped. There are many armed groups in Iraq. I suppose that almost each minister has own little army (as to the president then he has his own huge peshmerga).

It is quite natural to think that some groups are 'anti-insurgent' and probably wish to expose them (the insurgents) in the negative light. But kidnapping of a journalist from CNN or Washington Post would upset their American masters. So I don't believe that simply random Westerner was kidnapped.

13. Interesting idea. Really, they promised it.

14. Maybe we can swap him for Robert Fisk.