• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Guardian journalist kidnapped in Iraq.

Just announced on BBC radio news.

I wonder how much empathy the Guardian will have with the 'oppressed peoples of Iraq' that are 'driven to do these things by Western imperialism etc etc etc' if his head ends up on a plate?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1594506,00.html

US air strikes kill civilians in Iraq, say witnesses

Rory Carroll in Baghdad
Tuesday October 18, 2005
The Guardian

American air strikes have killed more than 70 people in western Iraq, including dozens of women and children, witnesses said yesterday.
Staff at a hospital in Ramadi, a provincial capital west of Baghdad, said they treated numerous civilians injured in Sunday's bombing of two nearby villages. Television pictures showed women and children among bandaged patients. The US military confirmed that warplanes and helicopters had fired missiles and killed more than 70 people but said the dead were insurgents engaged in operations.
Who do you think would not like such a report?

KGB_resident said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1594506,00.html

US air strikes kill civilians in Iraq, say witnesses

Rory Carroll in Baghdad
Tuesday October 18, 2005
The Guardian

American air strikes have killed more than 70 people in western Iraq, including dozens of women and children, witnesses said yesterday.
Staff at a hospital in Ramadi, a provincial capital west of Baghdad, said they treated numerous civilians injured in Sunday's bombing of two nearby villages. Television pictures showed women and children among bandaged patients. The US military confirmed that warplanes and helicopters had fired missiles and killed more than 70 people but said the dead were insurgents engaged in operations.
Who do you think would not like such a report?
Do you think those that hack off heads as a way of making their point, are interested in the subtleties of British newspaper political affiliations? The bloke is a westerner, as was the nurse that had devoted her life to the people of Iraq. The one that they shot in the back of the head.

I hope the bloke gets out okay, but if he was rescued by say, a few tanks crashing through the walls of a police station, I wonder what the Guardian's position would be?

Biscuits_AB said:
So, you reckon the SPAMs have offed him then Serg? Bit 'Cold War' that isn't it?
No, I don't mean that our American friends could even think about kidnapping of British journalist. I simply ask natural questions

Cui bono? Cui prodest? - Good for whom? Whom does it benefit?

Let's look at another recent article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1594696,00.html

Trial of the century? Not for Iraqis

Rory Carroll in Baghdad
Tuesday October 18, 2005
"People here don't think it will be a fair trial. But they will do nothing because they don't care about him," said Fawzi Mohammad
Government officials admit that Shia militias with links to Iran have infiltrated the police and army. Human rights groups accuse them of operating death squads against Sunnis. Such is the fear, Sunnis prefer to be arrested by Americans than the Shia-led security forces.
So Americans exposed in a positive light but Shia 'death squads' in police uniforms probably would not like this article.

I hope the guy gets out OK, but journos (especially lefty ones) do give the impression that they think that their politics give them some sort of armour against reality. Which is that he's a Westerner and a non-believer.

V!

tomahawk6 said:
I suspect that he may now be an embed with the terrorists.
Or kidnapped by Sadrist supporters, after all he was on assignment in Sadr City (Baghdad) and the press had reported that the sadrists wanted to kidnap British hostages in retaliation for events in Basra.

Awol said:
Do you think those that hack off heads as a way of making their point, are interested in the subtleties of British newspaper political affiliations? The bloke is a westerner, as was the nurse that had devoted her life to the people of Iraq. The one that they shot in the back of the head.

I hope the bloke gets out okay, but if he was rescued by say, a few tanks crashing through the walls of a police station, I wonder what the Guardian's position would be?
I agree that there were many random kidnappings in Iraq. Some individuals were absolutely unimportant from political point of view. But as to journalists then it is strange enough - maily journalists from openly anti-war editions were kidnapped. There are many armed groups in Iraq. I suppose that almost each minister has own little army (as to the president then he has his own huge peshmerga).

It is quite natural to think that some groups are 'anti-insurgent' and probably wish to expose them (the insurgents) in the negative light. But kidnapping of a journalist from CNN or Washington Post would upset their American masters. So I don't believe that simply random Westerner was kidnapped.

castlereagh said:
tomahawk6 said:
I suspect that he may now be an embed with the terrorists.
Or kidnapped by Sadrist supporters, after all he was on assignment in Sadr City (Baghdad) and the press had reported that the sadrists wanted to kidnap British hostages in retaliation for events in Basra.
Interesting idea. Really, they promised it.

For what it's worth, I think there is a good chance that he has been kidnapped by opportunist baddies after making a few bob rather than a gang of psychopaths who are going to saw his head off. However, there is always the chance that the former might flog him to the latter if they are the highest bidder. Kidnapping is an occupation in Iraq like flogging secondhand cars or selling weapons - everyone is at it.

This will not make a difference to the editorial of that odious rag. If this middle class journo scumbag, which he still is, is chopped up it will be portrayed as the evil westerners responsibility not the deliberate actions of terrorists.

Lets not confuse ourselves that these foolish children will wake up.

I would not like to be in his shoes, but he made his choice. Please note there is no schedenfrude intended but I fcuking hate these bastards. Best of luck to him, I hope he comes out alive with some idea of reality.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
littlelegs said:
For what it's worth, I think there is a good chance that he has been kidnapped by opportunist baddies after making a few bob rather than a gang of psychopaths who are going to saw his head off. However, there is always the chance that the former might flog him to the latter if they are the highest bidder. Kidnapping is an occupation in Iraq like flogging secondhand cars or selling weapons - everyone is at it.
Damn straight......Sergey, do you think that Chechen kidnappers of Westerners are simply trying to raise a few kopecks or that they always have a deeper motive ? Do they lift people who criticise the rebel movement alone ? Nope. they kidnap anyone who they think will make them some money.

For ordinary Iraqis, one of the most desperate aspects of the lawlessness that they've lived through has been this kind of random kidnapping for profit.

Mr Carroll has more chance of getting out of this in one piece if he has indeed been lifted for profit, rather than ethnicity. Any kidnappers who think his capture / detention will sway the British Government just haven't got it yet. Blair and co will leave him to rot .

I sincerely hope he is either released or rescued soon and my thoughts are with his family and loved ones, regardless of his political affiliation or that of his employers.

Le Chevre

Latest Threads