Guardian: "British Army Hands Back Last Headquarters In Germany"

soleil

War Hero
"The British army has relinquished control of its last remaining military headquarters in Germany following 75 years in the country, ahead of the final withdrawal of serving personnel.

Following the second world war, the UK was among a number of allied nations to retain a military presence in Germany but it halved the amount of soldiers after the fall of the iron curtain.

About 20,000 British service personnel have been steadily withdrawn since 2010 during “Operation Owl” under cost-cutting measures announced by former prime minister David Cameron.

On Saturday, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) confirmed the UK would continue to have a military presence in Germany beyond 2020 once the withdrawal of British army units to the UK has been completed.

However, around 185 British army personnel and 60 MoD civilians are set to remain.

An MoD spokesperson said: “The closure of Catterick Barracks Bielefeld marks the withdrawal of 20,000 British personnel from Germany. Since 2010 we’ve taken care to make this process as smooth as possible for our people and their families.

“As a founding member of Nato we will continue to work closely with our European partners and will maintain a presence in Germany.”

Catterick Barracks has been the last remaining headquarters for the British forces in Germany since 2013.

On Thursday, a flag-lowering ceremony marked the handover of the base in Bielefeld to the German authorities following the steady re-basing of thousands of troops under Operation Owl.

“Today, I think, not only for me but for the British forces as a whole, means the end of an era,” said Lt Col Tony Maw, the officer commanding the Germany Enabling Office, according to Forces Network.

“Today also marks the start of a new era, with our footprint now firmly set up in Sennelager with the Germany Enabling Office.”

In the UK, Salisbury Jobcentre Plus is assisting veterans and the spouses of serving personnel to access benefits, employment and support.

Hundreds of new homes have been built for returning families in the three garrison towns of Bulford, Tidworth and Larkhill in recent years, since most will be repatriated to Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire.

But they have been warned the homes will be much smaller than those they have been residing in."

Hundreds of new homes have been built for returning families in the three garrison towns of Bulford, Tidworth and Larkhill in recent years, since most will be repatriated to Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire.
Woohoo, kick em while they're down. Bet everyone couldn't wait, "get me those MFO boxes pronto!" I would prefer Benbecula, at least it has nice scenery.

'Cos it's not as if there weren't (particularly RAF) married patches ivo Salisbury Plain that couldn't have been used, if MoD hadn't already sold them off to Carrington Homes. So much for 'strategic planning', like with Innsworth and the ARRC where they leased hundreds of new-build homes in a shithole sink estate at Quedgley because most of the local patches had been sold previously.:mad:

But they have been warned the homes will be much smaller than those they have been residing in."
Even a Colonel's gaffe isn't up to much on the Plain. The Bulford 3* digs is however rather replete in necessary splendour.

Woohoo, kick em while they're down. Bet everyone couldn't wait, "get me those MFO boxes pronto!" I would prefer Benbecula, at least it has nice scenery.
I live just outside Bulford and Tidworth in the Bourne Valley. Granted, I’m in my own gaffe, not a MQ, but me and the Frau are very happy with Wiltshire, having chosen to settle here almost 20 years ago. What’s not to like? Great connections to the West Country and London, lovely countryside, great pubs and multiple dog walking options.
Now, if they would just reduce the number of Army personnel, it would be perfect! :smile:

No permanent staff in Benbecula anymore and when Rapier goes we probably won’t use it.

No permanent staff in Benbecula anymore and when Rapier goes we probably won’t use it.
No further need for the St.Kilda Range complex?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think that there's a big old married patch going up where the tank workshops were in Ludgershall. If they're still being built then they're a bit behind the rebasing timeline.

TamH70

MIA
What's Walsrode / Fallingbostel's Lay-by Lill going to do now?

{Mind you she would be around 70ish now}

[/QUOTE]
Back to Russia, her work was done

Last edited:
There's no decent pubs that I'm aware of on Benbecula (excluding the hotel) but you can get a decent pint in the Westford Inn near Claddach Kirkibost on North Uist.

chimera

LE
'Cos it's not as if there weren't (particularly RAF) married patches ivo Salisbury Plain that couldn't have been used,
Er no there aren't.

RAF quarters on Salisbury Plain? I suppose there was RAF Upavon (Army since 1993) RAF Andover (closed in 1997) RAF Netheravon (transferred to Army in 1963) or maybe RAF Larkhill (closed 1942)? Middle Wallop MQ are now used as overspill for Army HQ in Andover.

Although the announcement is about Bielefeld, the expansion of Tidworth, Bulford and Perham Down with new barracks and MQs is for 20 Bde coming out of Paderborn.

Er no there aren't.

RAF quarters on Salisbury Plain? I suppose there was RAF Upavon (Army since 1993) RAF Andover (closed in 1997) RAF Netheravon (transferred to Army in 1963) or maybe RAF Larkhill (closed 1942)? Middle Wallop MQ are now used as overspill for Army HQ in Andover.

Although the announcement is about Bielefeld, the expansion of Tidworth, Bulford and Perham Down with new barracks and MQs is for 20 Bde coming out of Paderborn.
There is a MQ Estate at Boscombe Down, which presumably originally supported the RAF base, but is now primarily used by the Army and has been for some years.

Latest Threads