Guardian Article - Heroin for Middle Class Nerds

Sounds like a great way to retain ones virginity

Sounds like a great way to retain ones virginity
Sexist. Think of the female players!

Firstborn was into it for a while, wanted someone to play against as he started, and it was an excuse to rediscover my long-past youth by taking up modelling. All that time at SchInf and Staff courses, and he still beat me every single time. The little sod. It may also have been his... flexible... attitude to the rules, namely "if you can't be arsed to read a 200-page manual over and over again, I'm not going to help you", or maybe my reluctance to have my units actually die. Soppy sod that I am, he was burning through units like Zhukov on a bad day.

I spent a few Sunday mornings in another corner of the Warhammer shop as they ran their kids beginners' session; still got a box of Harlequins to paint. And yes, there were patient and devoted Mums there acting as taxi driver...

* Don't go into Model Wonderland with cash. You see all the kits you desperately wanted as a kid, but now you've got the cash to buy them...

Last edited:

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
As my now ex wife knew I read the novels, she suggested I take my nephew into GW to see if he was interested. He was a teenager at the time, and was into “Brodie’s” (I think that’s what they were called, some kind of emo my little pony..). We thought GW was a bit more healthy!!
Anyhoo, I looked over the novels while he looked at tyranids (nasty gribbly beasties), later comes over with a couple of models with combined value of £150!!

Seen this doing the rounds elsewhere.

Whilst I am not a massive fan of the Grauniad or the general tone of this piece, what I found interesting was the figures given for both GW's performance (versus other high street staples) and some of the other games companies referenced.

The thing for GW, I have always thought that its accessibility - a strong point - was based on the high street presence. But with the move to single-manned stores, I'm not sure how much they can do by way of introduction games and painting lessons etc. I worry that the odd nods to the Rogue Trader/oldhammer crowd, and heavy milking of IP licenses, are not sustainable. That said the resilience of GW is always surprising so I do not foresee them flogging it all to Disney just yet.

‘Heroin for middle-class nerds’: how Warhammer conquered gaming
"The first is the motto of Warhammer 40,000: “In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium, there is only war.” In other words Games Workshop is a serious business, but it is not to be taken seriously. In fact, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, a goblins-and-gnomes war game, and Warhammer 40k are ridiculous, over-the-top pastiches, created by people who were bored and angry under Margaret Thatcher, and channelled that rage into worlds where everyone is the villain, and hope has been extinguished for millennia."

He just couldn't help himself, eh...?

Considering most of the people I know who play 40k on regular bases are certainly not middle class.
The models are not that badly priced, ok not cheap as chips. But I've seen more expensive stuff.
GW makes the models in the UK, so production costs are not as cheap as making them in China.

Considering most of the people I know who play 40k on regular bases are certainly not middle class.
The models are not that badly priced, ok not cheap as chips. But I've seen more expensive stuff.
GW makes the models in the UK, so production costs are not as cheap as making them in China.
Some of their now retired 'Speciality Games' were fun. Battlefleet Gothic and Necromunda particularly. The advent of 3D Printers made BFG a really good option as the battles were generally a small number (5-6) detailed ship models per player and there are various websites offering models under close but slightly different names to the GW Range :p

Sexist. Think of the female players!
I've occasionally walked past Games Workshop and I've never seen a female in their shops.

The fat, spotty, specky foureyed, misfits stood around reminded me of a Royal Signals recruiting stand.

My missus used to go Games Workshop in her younger days, and at time the nerds were literally speechless

It probably doesn't help she'd always had huge breasts since puberty

I had a first edition hardback 40k Rogue Trader rule book when it came out.

Sadly it fell apart in the late 80's early 90s.

Probably why a friend (who is married) buys two of such things. One goes in a bag for in 30 years when it is collectable, and the other is the working gaming version.

My missus used to go Games Workshop in her younger days, and at time the nerds were literally speechless

It probably doesn't help she'd always had huge breasts since puberty
*ahem*

You know the rules.

I had a first edition hardback 40k Rogue Trader rule book when it came out.

Sadly it fell apart in the late 80's early 90s.

Probably why a friend (who is married) buys two of such things. One goes in a bag for in 30 years when it is collectable, and the other is the working gaming version.
That's what we should have done, but then I used to have a 1st edition Dungeons & Dragons book which of course was quite well used in the end, long gone as part of my divorce now the evil witch

Latest Threads