Guardian Article - Heroin for Middle Class Nerds

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
White Dwarf back in the day was excellent. Some of the more retro GW video games were excellent too:

• Space Hulk
  • Chaos Gate
  • Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen (my two favourites along with....)
  • Epic: Final Liberation
You should try the new total war warhammer games

You should try the new total war warhammer games
I have them both, they are pretty good indeed. I was disappointed way back when Dark Millenium 9the 40k MMO) got canned following THQ folding. More recently too when they botched DoW3.

Battlefleet Gothic was a let down sadly too.

Some of the WH Fantasy setting novels are decent too. The following Omnibus' are favourites:

• Brunner the Bounty Hunter
  • Matthias Thulman, Witch Hunter
  • Blackhearts
The Commissar Cain and Eisenhorn series' are pretty good also.

I haven't the steady hands for painting the models (asthma meds are a bitch for the shakes) and the changes to the games has been largely negative anyhow in recent years. Some of the authors who write for Black Library however.... excellent.

Some other decent, Sci-fi series I've enjoyed are:
  • Joshua Dalzelle's Black Fleet series
  • Omega Force by Joshua Dalzelle (it's suitably absurd yet fun)
  • The Lost Fleet series (and spinoffs) by Jack Campbell
  • Space Captain Smith by Toby Frost (think Flashman in space)
  • Most things that Peter F Hamilton has produced, but especially Fallen Dragon
  • Forever War Trilogy by Joe Halderman (a must read I felt)
Now, time to get back to Panzer Corps. To the Polish Border, SCHNELL!!!!!!!!!

"Forever War" by Joe Haldeman is exceptional.

They keep threatening to make a film of it.

"Forever War" by Joe Haldeman is exceptional.

They keep threatening to make a film of it.
The trilogy is awesome. Some of the concepts that are explored in it really are quite intelligent for the time it was written. It is one of the reasons I also enjoyed Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton.

TamH70

MIA
I'd love a plugin for one of the games, or even better some figures, of the main characters from this series of books:

Ciaphas Cain - Wikipedia

Sandy Mitchell's books are really the only Black Library ones I've read for pleasure. The others were merely out of curiosity.

What the actual f**k are you all talking about?

I love the fluff; I simply don’t have the time or money to engage in the crunch.

I feel like I'm missing out on something :mrgreen:

Is this a deathbed regret type thing

Is it a secret society that nod knowingly to each other in the pub, like swingers communists and bi-sexualists

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Is it a secret society that nod knowingly to each other in the pub, like swingers communists and bi-sexualists
Playfulness is the greatest single indicator of intelligence.

I never had the patience for table top gaming but there's nothing like a decent boardgame with some beers. Play a couple of games of 'Risk' with someone and you'll find out all you need to know about them. It should be part of any decent recruitment programme.

spending oodles of this

1548236307987.png

on this;

1548236479946.png

and these

1548236372396.png

to create this

1548236411948.png

to see everyone get killed at the roll of a die

@FORMER_FYRDMAN its a fair shout about boardgames. There are a lot of my generation of gamers whose entry-level drug was either Space Crusade or Heroquest (or both) arguably boardgames but with elements of roleplay.

@alfred_the_great a lot of the current GW stuff is deliberately designed to be lower entry costs - self contained boxed-games, small kill-team sized formations with <2hrs play time. You know it makes sense...

Same here.

This thread is a revelation. I had no idea; this is like finding out about a thing called "football" which you'd never heard of.

The trilogy is awesome. Some of the concepts that are explored in it really are quite intelligent for the time it was written. It is one of the reasons I also enjoyed Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton.
Haldeman essentially writes the same novel over and over again, but there's nothing wrong with that; John Lee Hooker only has a couple of tunes.

For those on this thread, intuition tells me Haldeman would be a big hit, as would Michael Swanwick, whose "Iron Dragon's Daughter" is very good.

Chews up Tolkien and spits him out in bits.

Latest Threads