Guardian article 2nd December

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Nixta, Dec 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I posted this in another thread, but thought i'd put it up here for people to see in case any of you hadn't seen it, it's a very moving article, made me bawl my eyes out! My husband was hit by an RPG in Afghan in October and luckily survived so it makes things like this all the more devastating to read...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,,1961086,00.html

2. I'm not ashamed to say I had a few tears in my eyes.

We will remember them.

3. A truly moving article which brings home the truth of what occurs out there through the eyes of the soldier. Isn't it strange though, how the Guardian can print these accounts one day, but allow that fat feminist who has no concept of soldiering, to print the crap she did the other day?

I can understand one paper not talking to the next, but two journo's working for the same paper not talking to each other, I find absurd.

4. Congratulations to the Guardian for printing this article.

No it is not strange. It is a sign of a paper that employs intelligent journalists, and gives space to intelligent contributors.

If some of their other writers produce a different point of view, that's fair enough. You don't have to agree with it, but it is worth reading it so that you can understand the range of factors and considerations to any particular issue.

Much rather that than a paper that simply churns out its proprietor's political views, with no attempt at balance.

(If you hadn't guessed, I am a Guardian reader)

5. Take your views to the other thread on Journos then!! :evil:

A very moving tribute choked me!!

Have you seen the tribute video that is quite emotional too!

6. I tend to agree with Fugly's initial post on that thread.

However, having read the thread I should say that I do not believe that vitriol and personal abuse are a reasonable substitute for reasoned debate. I believe in diversity, democracy and tolerance.

Although I am a Guardian reader, I have also clocked up a decent amount of service in the Army (although I am no longer serving). I am a firm supporter of all of our services and service men and women.

7. My point was that this thread is not the place to promote/slate/defend newspapers. If you don't like the way that Fuglys thread (in the NAAFI) went open another in Current Affairs and defend your paper!

8. Fair point. I have no particular wish to fight the Guardian's corner any more than what I have said.

I entirely support what Nixta, PotYos and Biscuits had to say about the article in question.

9. You need to calm down there Mr Angry and stop over reacting. Next time you quote me Big Boy, quote the whole post, not the editted version.

10. Blimey, didn't mean to start a row! It is nice to see a newspaper actually printing an article to show people the other side to the forces, i didn't read this other article the other day so i cant comment on that one!!!

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Gut wrenchingly sad...

12. Beautiful and so very sad-thanks for the link and well done to the Guardian for writing this up. :(

13. Thanks Nixta, all deeply sad. The dictated letter when its author knew he wouldn't make it...... =(

I hope your husband's bearing well as can be.

14. I know, you just can't imagine how the families of these guys must feel...

My husband is on the mend thank you, it'll take time but he'll get there...we're just so grateful that he is alive, his body armour saved his life which is scary to think about!!!