Guard of Honour Question

Hi all

Newbie to the forum and my fiancé is soon to start his basic training in a matter of days. Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section or repeating a post already answered.

We plan to marry very soon after his phase 2 training.

I've searched the forums and can't really find an answer to my query. Basically, can we have guards of honour, if we plan to marry at a registry office? (Neither of us are religious and would feel it hypocritical to marry at a church.)

If so, any advice on how we go about arranging this would be extremely appreciated. Also, would it be an issue if the registry office in a city centre?

If not, that sucks but life goes on!

Thank you in advance for all your help and answers.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Hi all

Newbie to the forum and my fiancé is soon to start his basic training in a matter of days. Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section or repeating a post already answered.

I've searched the forums and can't really find an answer to my query. Basically, can we have guards of honour, if we plan to marry at a registry office? (Neither of us are religious and would feel it hypocritical to marry at a church.)

If so, any advice on how we go about arranging this would be extremely appreciated. Also, would it be an issue if the registry office in a city centre?

For more info follow this link

It's a thread from 'Rear Party' a sister of the ARRSE group.

Good luck with it all, I wish you both well.

A guard of honour? What are you expecting?

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
A guard of honour? What are you expecting?
Something like this?
image.jpeg

Good luck for the future op:wink:

I only ask because there is an unfortunate trait that often comes to the fore when soldiery get married, and that is the adoption of bizarre orders of dress and unauthorized embellishments. @Harry Paget Flashman comes to mind - some years ago he was photographed at his nuptuals; his guard of honour were a ramshackle collection of weirdos of all ranks and cap badges brandishing a wonderful variety of swords.

At about the same time, IIRC, a Royal Marine JNCO was prosecuted for turning up at a wedding decked out as a Sergeant and sporting unauthorised gongs.

A few years ago an ex-REME SSgt in my ken proudly showed me his wedding phots and then took great umbrage when I asked him why he was wearing a Sam Browne and a sword?

There used to be a fashion for getting hitched wearing 'one rank up'.

And then there was the habit of sporting Drummers' cords...........

So, in asking the question, 'what are you expecting?', I was trying to gauge what the lass envisaged happening on her big day. It used to be the case that the Rank and File had to ask for permission from their CO to wear uniform for these events. Does she want No2 Dress or No1 Dress? Can one still get Blues in great enough number through the system?

I only ask because there is an unfortunate trait that often comes to the fore when soldiery get married, and that is the adoption of bizarre orders of dress and unauthorized embellishments. @Harry Paget Flashman comes to mind - some years ago he was photographed at his nuptuals; his guard of honour were a ramshackle collection of weirdos of all ranks and cap badges brandishing a wonderful variety of swords.

At about the same time, IIRC, a Royal Marine JNCO was prosecuted for turning up at a wedding decked out as a Sergeant and sporting unauthorised gongs.

A few years ago an ex-REME SSgt in my ken proudly showed me his wedding phots and then took great umbrage when I asked him why he was wearing a Sam Browne and a sword?

So, in asking the question, 'what are you expecting?', I was trying to gauge what the lass envisaged happening on her big day. It used to be the case that the Rank and File had to ask for permission from their CO to wear uniform for these events. Does she want No2 Dress or No1 Dress? Can one still get Blues in great enough number through the system?

Don't forget red sashes.

D

Deleted 15653

However do bear in mind that embellishments "worn solely for the purpose of gaining access to the bridesmaids' or bride/groom's mother's knickers" are exempt restrictions.

I was simply expecting men in uniform for the sheer vanity of photos and also a role for his potential new army buddies to get involved too. Plus my matron of honour is single... ;-)

However do bear in mind that embellishments "worn solely for the purpose of gaining access to the bridesmaids' or bride/groom's mother's knickers" are exempt restrictions.

Such restrictions are in place when the bridesmaids are aged 11 and under! :p

Only the matron of honour is available too! ;-)

Sadly I keep getting access to the brides mother.

(One of the many perils of having all daughters).

Last edited:

So what you're saying is that the groom has to play the game but the best man can turn up dressed as Colonel Gaddafi, right? Wish I'd known that sooner.

OP. It's your wedding and they'll be his mates. You can do what you want but they won't be bringing cannons, guns, swords or a flypast. And the cavalry won't be picking you up either.

My suggestion is to leave the guy alone for a bit to actually get in and settled. The instant loads of mates thing only really happens on a second posting when you know the score. You might be disappointed if you try to do things in a hurry.

So what you're saying is that the groom has to play the game but the best man can turn up dressed as Colonel Gaddafi, right? Wish I'd known that sooner.

OP. It's your wedding and they'll be his mates. You can do what you want but they won't be bringing cannons, guns, swords or a flypast. And the cavalry won't be picking you up either.

My suggestion is to leave the guy alone for a bit to actually get in and settled. The instant loads of mates thing only really happens on a second posting when you know the score. You might be disappointed if you try to do things in a hurry.

Firstly, you assume wrong that I am the one who wanted guards of honour. Secondly, you assume wrong again that I am the one hurrying things along.

Both of these are requests have been made by the groom, so I would appreciate less of the, "not another wannabe Army wife that's being a bridezilla".

Thanks for the input anyway.

Get him to dress up like an explosion in HM supplies with more gongs than a North Korean General and then post pictures everywhere. The frothing by dreary old cnuts on this site will keep you amused when your filing for divorce.

Hi all

Not wanting to pi55 on your chips but how about ...

a) Waiting to see if he can hack basic

b) Waiting to see if he still wants to get hitched after phase 2

c) Waiting to see where his first posting is......

He may well be a different person after phase 2 and may want to get on with his career and a few courses/Quals under his belt for a bit of time before getting cemented down to living on the patch with a whinging wife ...or similar.

Just saying.....

Not wanting to pi55 on your chips but how about ...

a) Waiting to see if he can hack basic

b) Waiting to see if he still wants to get hitched after phase 2

c) Waiting to see where his first posting is......

He may well be a different person after phase 2 and may want to get on with his career and a few courses/Quals under his belt for a bit of time before getting cemented down to living on the patch with a whinging wife ...or similar.

Just saying.....

Read my previous post.

In addition, my query was about guards of honour, not about advice when we should get married.

There was a great thread here a few years ago by someone who wanted to know if he could wear his late fathers uniform for his wedding.

And a cadet instructor officer type who had a quaint collection of uniformed herberts at his wedding (to an ex-cadet?). And then he died, but it went quiet ....... Too quiet.

Latest Threads