Guantanamo man in Iraq bombing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Recce19, May 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well well. A former Guantanamo inmate has become a suicide bomber.

Maybe the yanks do have a reason for not letting them go, or is it that they turned to this in revenge for being wrongly imprisoned?
  2. How do they know who he was? They can hardly identify the body can they?
  3. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

4. The head tends to be the main part lying around and so, any recognition is done from this.
  5. We may never know if he was a violent nutter before or after his imprisonment. This has no bearing, however, on Gitmo and the fact that those being held there are not being given due process.
  6. Well, either way it doesn't look good. He was either innocent, and then became radicalised while he was in Gitmo, or he was always dangerous but was released.
  7. Either way, no one has a right to lock people up with no evidence and/or reason.
  8. Which puts G.W. Bush's US on the level of Nazi Germany, former USSR, current Russia, China, DPRK, Myanmar - to name just a few shining examples.
  9. And cutting peoples heads of because they follow a different creed to you is a shining example of how to be an enlightened human being is it?

Those people in Gitmo were in the main foreigners captured in a combat zone on the other side of the battlefield. You can't tell me that there isn't something fishy about that.
  10. I agree - cutting off heads for any reason is barbarous. And being in a combat zone on the other side of a battlefield is certainly suspicious. But, that being said, it doesn't excuse the way that the men in Gitmo were held without charges for years.

If we descend to the level of our enemies, then what are we fighting to defend?
  11. Good point, but at the end of the day, what we have isn't democracy. For example, to join the police you need to declare that you are not a member of any "racist groups". Surely in a democracy you should not be a member of any political party or group, or at least you could be a member of any!

With the police and the prison service its therefore a case of Fascists no, Communists ok! Just one example of "What are we fighting for". Out of a sample of 100 people, you can guarentee that at least 20% of those are people such as scroungers and junkies you'd quite happily give a 9mm brain haemorrage to.

What we have is not democracy, its a bastardisation of democracy. And IMHO, banging people up without trial, as long as there is due suspicion, is fine.

Being caught behind enemy lines with no excuse for being there is due suspicion. Like those Terry Taliban from Tooting, last time I checked they didn't have weddings in caves in the White Mountains.

Bit of a rant, but you get my drift.

At the end of the day, we're all soldiers, in one way shape or form. If you don't like being a political tool, then sign off. At the moment, we just have to accept it.
  12. I disagree with that, but understand where you are coming from.

Imagine that happened in this country(Which is pretty much has now) Say for example you were arrested for any minor offence, drink, drugs, you name it. You could then be kept without trial for weeks, months or years. I know this wouldn't happen too often, but it would be legal. Would you want to live in a country that had rules like that? No habeus corpes?

George Orwells 1984 was meant as a warning, not a guidebook.
  13. After Gitmo, I hope nobody expected old boy to join the local convent.

Or did you?
  14. Except in the little case of reality we like to call... War.

Why did you come here, do you aim to educate us? 8O
  15. In-Limbo, the little case of reality we call war, no matter how bad we feel we need it, still needs that little dose of reality called Laws of War.

Who locks up people, then tries them in secret and doesn't even have the balls to tell them what they are accused of?

I'll tell you who. Mugabe and the junta in Burma and a whole host of third world dictators. And now the the US and all of the sanctimonious SOBs who condone it.

A slap in the face of all that us made us great.

Aaahhh Gitmo! Pol Pot's wet dream!