gsxr 600 first bike

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by T/J/LeGg, Mar 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all, im going to be taking my bike test in a few weeks. im 18 so i will have to detrict the bike to 33bhp.

I have rode off road bikes over 400cc and i was thinking of getting the gsxr 600 for my first big bike. i have checked out the insurence and been quoted 1400 for the year pricey but im young.

i will be doing alot of motorway miles on it and wont be killing the bike untill i have mastered it. anyway im 6foot and 13st do you think i would have any problems with the gsxr600 as my first bike. and dont worry im not a stupid kid who will be trying for top speed asoon as i get it.

thanks taylor.

2. Not on a gixxer, you won't.

3. why whats up

4. I would give a gsxr a wide berth if you are doing "motorway miles". It will be very uncomfortable. If you are looking for 600 have a look at zzr 600. Like you i,m 6' and had a zzr 600 and it was very good on long runs. Don't get me wrong gsxrs r6 etc are all very nice but if you are looking at putting lots of miles down the avoid them at all costs, you will be in agony!
    Just my tupenny's worth
    Good luck with the test

RM

5. This does not make sense.
    If you are doing " a lot of motorway miles" you will be 'learning' very little, especially if you think miles equal 'mastering' it on motorways.
    My advice, get whatever bike you like but, if one presumes you are in the UK, then something with a fairing of whatever sort is worth its weight when we have our traditional summer.
    My second general point would be that when you pass your test, you have only reached the minimum legal standard to be let out on your own You will be a danger to yourself and other road users, speed and mileage do not equate to safety. Spend a bit less on the bike and invest some shekels into some advanced training.
    While you may not have asked for this advice, please accept it in the spirit it was given, some new riders never make it to the 'old rider' stage. Buy yourself a copy of Roadcraft, read and digest, then get some training.

Enjoy your riding. I still do.

6. thanks for the advice. when i mean motorway miles i mean oxford to manchester. and i will be doing the advance training not sure of the cost yet though.

if one of uses were in my shoes what would you do

7. Move to Manchester.

8. I did 26000 miles on my GSXR 750K6.

A lot of miles.

A Gixxer is a great bike. Be careful. I'd suggest something a little less focused for the first couple of years. It'd be cheaper on insurance and you'd be a lot more comfortable. Plenty of time for sportsbikes after getting some experience and getting some NCD.

9. i live in manchester but the unit i want to join is in oxford.

the_guru whats the bike like weight wise when riding and coming to a stop.

10. Get whatever bike you like mate, but be carefull, sports bikes are built for speed not comfort, a Fazer 600 nice upright and comfy or SV 650 Vtwin are good bikes for a newbie.

But like most of the other boyz on thread the emphasis is on skill and you dont earn that by starting out riding like a twat, but the gixer is appealing...

11. Gixxers are sex mate but I would go for a less straight up sports bike and more of a sports tourer best of both worlds. as lets face it it is all about looking good.

I past a year ago and got a Triumph TT600, i love it but bloody tempermental, bit like my mrs but then i like that. My mate who did direct access with me got CBR n he loves it, iv had a go and cant fault it, both put fair few miles down and dont get back ache. gixxers, R6's n ninjas will see you dead sooner than you can say oooh my neck hurts. you will look good on it until then though! i did sit on an R6 and saw my death.

Fazers are good bikes but i don't think look that good. basically mate get a bike that you wont cry if you drop, can learn to corner, get your confidence up but is comfy.

my dad just got a daytona 675 the bastard!

good look mate and remember, the problem is not you or how well you ride but the ****** that doesn't look when pulling out!

12. Be carefull if you get a gixxa. Not what I would recommend as a first bike. But hey if your mental and enjoy hospital food then crack on.

One of my mates went from a cbr125 to a k2 gsxr600 after his test. He went on to put it through a field somewhere near otterburn not long after, thinking he could race a ducati. Luckily he was ok apart from getting called hedgey a lot afterwards. Learned his lesson the hard way and was very lucky to only injure his pride. Gixxers can be very unforgiving.

As mentioned sports bikes are focused on speed, with a sometimes awkward riding position for long mileage. I would go for a 2000-2002 bike maybe a honda cbr600 or R6. I find the bikes from this time period are a lot more comfy to ride as it was before all the manufacturers went all race techy with mass centralised engines and frames, and riding positions with your head down and arrse up.

13. RiflemanTom

RiflemanTom Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I did exactly the same thing. Passed test, got Gixer 6, never looked back. Fukcing brilliant idea. They're mental and they'll teach you a thing or two about handling a bike. I upgraded to a 750 about 2 years later.

14. Comfort on a bike is largely subjective anyway

I commute on an R1 (24 k a year) and I have never had any issues with comfort despit being 6'2.
    Just remember the noise grip does go both ways.
    More training is nice but there aint no substitute for miles in the saddle.

For comfy sporty go for an earlier zx6r (pre 2004) they go forever and "big " for a sportsbike

15. Personally, for a first big bike, and for high mileage, I would avoid any of the sportbikes.

My advice would be to go for more of an all rounder - Something like a bandit would probably suit.

It is not mentioned often but one of the down-sides of sports bikes is that your head is lower than on the all-rounders. As a result, your view of the road ahead is more limited and your reactions need to be sharper. This is not a good situation for a learner.

Since you have off-road experience, something along the lines of the "adventure sports" style bikes might be a good bet and more in your comfort zone. These offer a good upright seating position with good visibility and decent comfort.