GSM repeaters

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Porridge_gun, Sep 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Bit of an odd question to ask and there are probably enough Mobile / comms gurus out there to tell me.

My mobile signal and castle donut is pants, outside 5m away is good, but the second I go in, I lose most date and voice drops in and out, never more than one bar.

As a Blackberry user its a pain in the rod.

I've been looking at GSM repeaters, are they any good, do they work, will I still get data? are they a spastic proof install?

Any help gratefully received...... you cnuts.
  2. Its probably all the man made clothing products on the rest of the council estate thats affecting the signal mate. Have you thought about applying to the council for a move?
  3. Porridge_gun

Into a quarter for example? :roll:

Did you think the thread was about things to stab your claypit with? :D
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Or you could try removing it from your ARRSE mate im sure you'll get a better reception and be rid of that "Full" feeling :D
  5. You're a fat civvy. How do you think you'd be entitled to a married quarter, peasant?

6. Hello penis face

I had the same problem at my old house. I bought a Blackberry 8320 which is voip-enabled. When the normal signal is too weak it switches to WiFi voip. Calls were generally cheaper aswell.
  7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

The answer depends on what you want just GSM or 3G data coverage. You can pick up a 3G repeater for about 350 euros, let me dig out some details and PM you. GSM repeaters in the past have been in the thousands and register on the network so have legal issues, but let me ask around and get back to you.

Editid to ad.

I've just spoken with our repeater guru and he suggests you go for a 3G solution, both voice and data, using a nextivity repeater.

There may well be legal issues in the UK so you should call and check with your network operator.

On the other hand you might want to make a customer complaint anyway, an engineer WILL look into it and look at solving the problem if he can.
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

9. Oh the repeater, i thought you were refering to the slack arrse :lol:
  10. Porridge_gun

Are you on the welfare?

You should join Flash in his subsidised housing if so :D
  11. If you mean 5 Metres away from the house the signal is good then a repeater may work but the cheap ones are sh1t and the good ones are expensive.

If you mean 5 Miles away then you have got no hope of any repeater working.

Vodafone do a VAG (Vodafone Access Gateway) plugs into the broadband connection and adds full 3G signal for upto 8 users,

£160 outright sale, £5 on a contract phone/month

(and I may know this in a professional capacity :wink: )
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Valid points, but the one in the link will give you your money back if it doesn't work, so you can't really lose giving it a go. The ones that plug into your broadband need a very good connection. We use them here in Netherlands but each one has a dedicated ADSL line.

The nextivity ones I mentioned are tested by us and our guy says they are great and about 350 euros per unit.
  13. :D