GS Land Rover Replacement?

If JLR decided post Brexit to build proper utility vehicles for outside of EU clients then it would be fine. They however are moving to India, if you think the land rover marque is tainted by quality and reliability issues now just wait, however as it will all outside of the Eu it wont cost us anymore to buy surat sofas instead of Solihull ones and they may even have doors that stay closed! Other indian cities are available.
Not only but also https://media.jaguarlandrover.com/news/2018/10/jaguar-land-rover-opens-manufacturing-plant-slovakia

JLR employees have been banging their heads against bulkheads for ages. They sussed the cunning plan to move away from UK manufacturing ages ago. Shiny and gizmo packed products are not aimed at UK or even European markets. The big areas of growth are perceived as Asia and the middle east. Unfortunately those who can afford a prestige car that can go anywhere now want it to be electric or hybrid at the very least which poses a problem. JLR products are pretty heavy. Weight is an issue JLR have been trying to address as is electric propulsion and the compromises are in the pipeline or so I'm told. In the meantime the legacy link to go anywhere/British style that generations have relied on and admired now resembles a three star Dubai tourist hotel. New 4 by 4 manufacturer required.

"New 4 by 4 manufacturer required."
Yes I concur. Land-Rover has burnt it's bridges, one way or the other I cannot see them making a convincing return to the utility market.

Until EU emissions are out the way, buying toyota LRs from Toyota Gibraltar is the quickest way forward.
FJ70s currently made under licence in Turkey freely available
HZJ79-DKMRS - Land Cruiser 79 Double Cabin Pick-Up
Either one you aren't going to struggle to find parts pretty much anywhere.
We had an up-armored Hilux snap a diff in half in our AO in Afghanistan. None in the FOB or parts shops in the bazaar, so one of the locally employed workers waved down a guy driving the same model of Hilux. After a bit of bartering and dipping into patrol funds we had a diff and he had a pocket full of cash.

Either one you aren't going to struggle to find parts pretty much anywhere.
We had an up-armored Hilux snap a diff in half in our AO in Afghanistan. None in the FOB or parts shops in the bazaar, so one of the locally employed workers waved down a guy driving the same model of Hilux. After a bit of bartering and dipping into patrol funds we had a diff and he had a pocket full of cash.
Doing a survey in Africa a few years ago, the drive shaft on our J60 went. Drove to a local "garage" which consisted of a hole dug in the ground, a palm leaf shelter, a shed and a full scrapyard next door.
Put the LC over the "inspection pit", chief mech had a look and then wandered off into the scrapyard with a spanner in his hand. Came back shortly with a "re-conditoned" drive shaft....

45 minutes and some gentle application of engineering rule 1 later, we drove off and continued on task.

Yeah some of those bush mechanics can work some miracles. It can be unnerving though watching them welding whilst them, the welder and generator are siting in a large puddle in the "workshop"

Using Landcruisers might be a bad idea?

You’ve deployed to a country where the locals, friendly forces and bad guys all have them. Salvaged parts available everywhere.

Some young squaddie is going to make a little profit from brand new, genuine Toyota parts and driver fitted items. ;-)

f
"New 4 by 4 manufacturer required."
Yes I concur. Land-Rover has burnt it's bridges, one way or the other I cannot see them making a convincing return to the utility market.
Tata’s Success with JLR was moving away from the 4x4 utility market. The market wasn’t there.

As has been said before, Toyota Hilux covers most needs and tractors the other.

MAybe we’ll see an AWD type company pop up to service the utility sector using old defender tooling but I suspect emissions will be the problem for it.

ugly

LE
For the time being, I'd be quite happy if the MOD were to set up a new company. To rebuild the LR fleet to 0hrs, if set up right could probably save the Gov.
Reme did it in 1945 building VW Beetles but can we do it again? Would the Govt owning a factory break Eu rules? Oh wait soon that shouldn't matter!:D

ugly

LE
Strange how things go around, 30 years ago it used to be you could find Landie parts anywhere. Now it's Toyota.
My point was though buying British, we've got all these LRs in storage. Why not recycle them.
A grand idea, is there any IP rights on producing them?
Alternatively we could import milspec land cruiser kits and assemble them here. Suzuki did it with Spain and the Santana. Santana did it in Spain with Land Rover but frankly the defender is poop. It doesn't go places the Land Cruiser can. We need a Landcruiser without wasting money developing a copy when we could build under license.

A grand idea, is there any IP rights on producing them?
Alternatively we could import milspec land cruiser kits and assemble them here. Suzuki did it with Spain and the Santana. Santana did it in Spain with Land Rover but frankly the defender is poop. It doesn't go places the Land Cruiser can. We need a Landcruiser without wasting money developing a copy when we could build under license.
I agree with you to a certain point, civvy spec Landcruisers are far superior to Discos etc. Driving up down our motorway system, it's embarrassing to see what was once a proud British company to being nearly a laughing stock.
Milspec Landies can be as good as any vehicle on the market. I would like to see if Jim Ratcliffe could come up with a viable replacement. If JLR do efoff to India, maybe he could take on their production lines......
It would be nice if our military could use British equipment.

I recently deployed on a operation where we used Toyota Hilux and landcruisers. We were doing around 6-7000 miles a month.

The landcruisers we had were a few years old and had around 200k miles on them and were no bother at all. The hiluxs that the patrols used were pretty much brand new.

Only ever had to change the tyres as the ground was pretty shocking.

For the jobs we use LR for surely a off the shelf option is viable? Never likely to be deployed into a combat zone (hopefully never again). Modern pickups have a much greater carrying capacity in the back decks and vastly improved driver comforts.

Yeah some of those bush mechanics can work some miracles. It can be unnerving though watching them welding whilst them, the welder and generator are siting in a large puddle in the "workshop"
How seismic crews straightened axles in the field is educational... perpendicular cuts on the convex side, a bit of careful hammering for line, then weld up to make good

The new JLR Defenders are looking good in both SWB & LWB and 12 variants on offer.
Production date unknown but JLR saying late 2019 to mid 2020.

Could be 21st century kit for the forces.