GS Land Rover Replacement?

I would think a bulk order would warrant a major discount, but G wagons aren't the best value for bucks are they.
I couldn't see it happening, but what happened to that bloke who wanted to set up a "Defender lookie like" company.
The problem with that is
1) EU Leg says so much proportion of a companies out put be an economical environmentally friendly car - Hence the Range rover evoque because a company that only made 4x4s couldn't meet that - So your looki likey isn't going to meet that so company penalised.

2) The Ladder chassis is not friendly - so a new build private vehicle wouldn't be certified on that chassis - A goods vehicle would be but would run foul of other rules** making private ownership more difficult

So the economics and regs stack against it.

** Here in France of the vehicle was initially registered as commercial then its always commercial - that's an annual MOT instead of biannual- plus any other rules.
Makes importing a defender sporting as you wont know its classification until its approved -( ive said this before )- it was also a big issue for London and the congestion charge etc
Just because you bought it new and it was registered PLG from new - that doesn't mean Landrover didn't originally allocate the chassis number as commercial.
So despite this you may import it and find your never been commercial is now commercial or the contrary.
Appealing to LR doesn't help as they dont know

If the British military, really require a proper utility truck replacement. From what I've seen reading news papers etc, at the moment they've got very limited possibilities.
1, Rebuilding properly all the current LRs to 0 hrs.
2, Purchase new. But who? Jeep recently released that new utility, but would they build a limited batch in RHD. Toyota Land Cruiser, but would our Mod by Japanese.
Who among the the EU builds Mil spec utilities? Would they build small batches in RHD?
Do they need to be RHD? On an overseas adventure it'll be a coin toss as to if the steering wheel's on the right correct side. Off-road in the UK, who cares. So its only blatting round UK roads/on camp its an issue - and how often does that need to be in an off-roader rather than a (cheaper to run?) white fleet vehicle?

Land Rovers.....all over the autobahn's in the 70's, 80's and 90's trying to keep up with the slowest civvy car, gassing the occupants sitting cramped in the back. We deployed them into a hide on a non-descript German forest, SQ/CQ would then use it as a sticky wagon....occasionally(!). But back then we had lots of soldier type people and pesky Russians would spy on you. Your radio would easily fit in the back as well.
Roll forward and less troops both here and Germany and a full radio fit just about fits in but we have got fatter so we now do not fit as easy!!! Land Rovers and equivalent are now not suitable.
We now exercise in the vehicles we roll out of the deployed base gate.....MASTIFF, JACKAL, EPLS and leather boots. The answer back in the UK is hire/lease white fleet. If you want to go out all military stylee then wait till JLTV turns up and use that. G-Wagons....no, they are good for London around Harrods for the Yooftube kids and German SF guys who like the blacked out look.

Do they need to be RHD? On an overseas adventure it'll be a coin toss as to if the steering wheel's on the right correct side. Off-road in the UK, who cares. So its only blatting round UK roads/on camp its an issue - and how often does that need to be in an off-roader rather than a (cheaper to run?) white fleet vehicle?
Same could be said for the Aussies. British Army has always had a white fleet vehicals. My Regt in the 70s had at least a dozen "cars".
The guy who is trying to get a replacement rugged 4x4 is Jim Ratcliffe who owns Ineos Chemicals.
As of 11 months ago he had MBtech of Stuttgart designing the thing. Don't know what it'll be like as LR have put a patent on the Defenders shape.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I would think a bulk order would warrant a major discount, but G wagons aren't the best value for bucks are they.
I couldn't see it happening, but what happened to that bloke who wanted to set up a "Defender lookie like" company.
G wagen was going to be made for Shah of Iran,a long mil run would be cheaper than current pimp wagen G type

"Ineos, the chemicals company owned by the Brexit-backing billionaire Jim Ratcliffe, is also expected to announce within the next month whether it will build its completely new off-roader, Projekt Grenadier, in the UK or in mainland Europe".

UK's carmakers face twin concerns of global upheaval and Brexit

Projekt Grenadier

If you just want a "white fleet" type vehicle to get troops around in peacetime and it cannot be quite "white" then look at a green painted Hi-Lux/Toureg type vehicle. There now cannot be a merge of peacetime and deployable-to-the-next-bad-place transports. A week after the green Hi-Lux turns up in Ugaboga, the naughty lot plant a IED or spray it with 5 rounds of 7.62 and some MP is standing up in Parliament being lynched.
This Jim Ratcliffe guy will not want to go down the route of starting out with his yet-to-be-built vehicle and try and get it to meet various STANAG requirements, ability to operate in + and -50c and be operated in full NBC! So those of you expecting a newer version of the Land Rover for the military will be sorely upset. There was talk of OUV's and some other program but i do not think that was looking at white fleet specifically.

If you just want a "white fleet" type vehicle to get troops around in peacetime and it cannot be quite "white" then look at a green painted Hi-Lux/Toureg type vehicle. There now cannot be a merge of peacetime and deployable-to-the-next-bad-place transports. A week after the green Hi-Lux turns up in Ugaboga, the naughty lot plant a IED or spray it with 5 rounds of 7.62 and some MP is standing up in Parliament being lynched.
This Jim Ratcliffe guy will not want to go down the route of starting out with his yet-to-be-built vehicle and try and get it to meet various STANAG requirements, ability to operate in + and -50c and be operated in full NBC! So those of you expecting a newer version of the Land Rover for the military will be sorely upset. There was talk of OUV's and some other program but i do not think that was looking at white fleet specifically.
Probably why the increased use of proxy forces and their Landcruisers is the way forward. I've flagged up elsewhere how the French pioneered this in the 80s in Chad.
Investment of 200 FJ70s and some MILAN, with a judicous application of air support and advisors = Libyan army properly smacked

Probably why the increased use of proxy forces and their Landcruisers is the way forward. I've flagged up elsewhere how the French pioneered this in the 80s in Chad.
Investment of 200 FJ70s and some MILAN, with a judicous application of air support and advisors = Libyan army properly smacked
Oh, l know what you are talking about - it was the Toyota War, wasn't it?

Toyota War - Wikipedia

Seven to one kill ratio is really good going.

Before suggesting, that it wouldn't come off, I'd be encouraging the Gentleman to build it in this country. Bit of a shame he's using Jerry to design it, but begger can't be choosers. Good luck to the man.

ugly

LE
If the British military, really require a proper utility truck replacement. From what I've seen reading news papers etc, at the moment they've got very limited possibilities.
1, Rebuilding properly all the current LRs to 0 hrs.
2, Purchase new. But who? Jeep recently released that new utility, but would they build a limited batch in RHD. Toyota Land Cruiser, but would our Mod by Japanese.
Who among the the EU builds Mil spec utilities? Would they build small batches in RHD?
The Dutch have bought the VW pick up

The Dutch have bought the VW pick up
We do a similar thing here and have Mitsubishi Tritons as generic vehicle and Pinzgauer fleet as the green wagon in units. Anything that doesn't need 6x6, seating for 10 and large load carriage we use the Tritons. Support is simple as the Mitsubishi dealer/rep can take care of any major stuff leaving the spanner jockeys to concentrate on green fleet.
If a utility was to be adopted as a light operation vehicle, enough places like Jankle do upgrades to sort militarizing of the platforms where required.

ugly

LE
We do a similar thing here and have Mitsubishi Tritons as generic vehicle and Pinzgauer fleet as the green wagon in units. Anything that doesn't need 6x6, seating for 10 and large load carriage we use the Tritons. Support is simple as the Mitsubishi dealer/rep can take care of any major stuff leaving the spanner jockeys to concentrate on green fleet.
If a utility was to be adopted as a light operation vehicle, enough places like Jankle do upgrades to sort militarizing of the platforms where required.
Tactical Vehicles | Products | Jankel
Me likey!

ugly

LE
If JLR decided post Brexit to build proper utility vehicles for outside of EU clients then it would be fine. They however are moving to India, if you think the land rover marque is tainted by quality and reliability issues now just wait, however as it will all outside of the Eu it wont cost us anymore to buy surat sofas instead of Solihull ones and they may even have doors that stay closed! Other indian cities are available.