GS Land Rover Replacement?

Ten more years? Spares are going to get pretty expensive, unless the manpower shrinks in line with the number of vehicles left serviceable.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
It's surprising little money and time it would take to make a Land rover from after market or O/E spares. People do it quite a lot....

Could we just buy more Pinz? They work and the ES is sort of in place. Be a nice change to use some common sense in the B vehicle world, in time it may even lead to joined up thinking and perhaps planning........

Could we just buy more Pinz? They work and the ES is sort of in place. Be a nice change to use some common sense in the B vehicle world, in time it may even lead to joined up thinking and perhaps planning........
I see where you're going with that one but a Pinz is no use for anyone over about 5 feet 6 inches tall. A strapping 6 feet 5 myself, I can spend about half an hour in the cab before I need a course of physio afterwards.

ugly

LE
I see where you're going with that one but a Pinz is no use for anyone over about 5 feet 6 inches tall. A strapping 6 feet 5 myself, I can spend about half an hour in the cab before I need a course of physio afterwards.
Landrovers are also shit, I can drive one around for short periods but after half an hour I give up. Short periods would be ten minutes around the farm, opening gates is a relief.

Landrovers are also shit, I can drive one around for short periods but after half an hour I give up. Short periods would be ten minutes around the farm, opening gates is a relief.
Oh, don't get me wrong: the driver's perch in a Land Rover is no Laz-E-Boy but I had no real trouble on long journeys other than the noise. I found the Pinz far less comfortable.

Oh, don't get me wrong: the driver's perch in a Land Rover is no Laz-E-Boy but I had no real trouble on long journeys other than the noise. I found the Pinz far less comfortable.

Our old series 3 Land Rovers were like driving about in side a tool box, bouncing around in a shopping trolley that was missing a wheel. We replaced them with Pinzgauers. Pretty capable ...when they're not in the workshop or waiting for parts. However like you mentioned, not designed for regular sized people to drive and a some have the drivers seat off set to the steering wheel just enough to be a pain. I hate long transits in them, between the poor noise proofing from the engine bay, the high center of gravity with associated roll and nausea its not a fun time.

ugly

LE
Our old series 3 Land Rovers were like driving about in side a tool box, bouncing around in a shopping trolley that was missing a wheel. We replaced them with Pinzgauers. Pretty capable ...when they're not in the workshop or waiting for parts. However like you mentioned, not designed for regular sized people to drive and a some have the drivers seat off set to the steering wheel just enough to be a pain. I hate long transits in them, between the poor noise proofing from the engine bay, the high center of gravity with associated roll and nausea its not a fun time.
Ok for a beaters wagon on a shoot then!

Sense? Commercial off the shelf?

Oh no no no that will not do at all. It will take 20 years of constant fact finding missions, design, moving the goalposts and more design before they decide it needs at least 4 wheels.
and then they'll work out it needs a steering wheel too

Nope, JLR sees defence as niche. It isn't interested in utility vehicle without high end sports squeezed in front!
I am misquoting a PM from JLR who was being frank
Admittedly I'm not military and never was but yes, the idea that LR will make a rough tough off roader for utilitarian tasks is, to put it mildly, pretty unlikely nowadays. Modern Land-Rovers are for pulling suburban people's caravans and horse trailers at the most.
The idea of a modern Discovery variant (for that is what the new "Defender" will be) filled with a squad of tough, thick necked blokes and heavy gear heading out to do intrepid things beyond civilisation is actually comical! Look at a modern Land-Rover and bring to mind the mental image, it is gigglesome.

ugly

LE
Thanks to the Eu we cant actually have a roughty toughty off roader. The ideal one being the utility land cruiser. The sooner the end of the Eu happens the better!
Toyota Land Cruiser - Wikipedia
If the Japanese can build utility and comfort in the same factory for different contracts then we are being ignorant cnuts (we being JLR) if we think we cant!
Its not they cant its just they wont!

I think that most of the oriente made utility vehicles we see on the news etc in hostile enviroments are usually built on a substantial ladder type chassis ,which I don't think the new deferder/Discovery will have,so probably only for show.

If the British military, really require a proper utility truck replacement. From what I've seen reading news papers etc, at the moment they've got very limited possibilities.
1, Rebuilding properly all the current LRs to 0 hrs.
2, Purchase new. But who? Jeep recently released that new utility, but would they build a limited batch in RHD. Toyota Land Cruiser, but would our Mod by Japanese.
Who among the the EU builds Mil spec utilities? Would they build small batches in RHD?

If the British military, really require a proper utility truck replacement. From what I've seen reading news papers etc, at the moment they've got very limited possibilities.
1, Rebuilding properly all the current LRs to 0 hrs.
2, Purchase new. But who? Jeep recently released that new utility, but would they build a limited batch in RHD. Toyota Land Cruiser, but would our Mod by Japanese.
Who among the the EU builds Mil spec utilities? Would they build small batches in RHD?
The Aussies have only recently replaced their 4x4 and 6x6 fleet of Land Rovers with new RHD G wagons. So an existing/capable production line exists in the EU.

The Aussies have only recently replaced their 4x4 and 6x6 fleet of Land Rovers with new RHD G wagons. So an existing/capable production line exists in the EU.
I would think a bulk order would warrant a major discount, but G wagons aren't the best value for bucks are they.
I couldn't see it happening, but what happened to that bloke who wanted to set up a "Defender lookie like" company.