GS Land Rover Replacement?

Seems like auction madness strikes again. Not only 35k for a SWB (VAT, tax and premium on top?), but - £3k for a 205 thats worth about £100?!

Wink, wink, "…it was ex speshul forces, innit…" wink, wink.

There are so many 'yeah, its an ex SAS pinkie' being driven around by fat blokes, it must have been permanent gridlock at Stirling Lines

They're not interested because the business case doesn't stack up. The development costs are vs market vs market appetite for price doesn't work. And even if it did, the opportunity cost of developing a compliant niche vehicle doesn't stack up against another sports SUV.

If anyone is going to make it happen it will be JLR. But it is in the queue behind the Velar, E-Pace, I-Pace and J-Pace all of which will give them bigger margins.
Well, don't tell this bloke . . . .

" The chemicals group Ineos has insisted its plan to build an off-road vehicle to succeed the Land Rover Defender is not a vanity project driven by its billionaire founder and chairman Jim Ratcliffe.

Ineos will set up a new division, Ineos Automotive, and expects to spend “many hundreds of millions” on developing a 4x4 vehicle that could fill the gap in the market left by the Defender, which has been discontinued by Jaguar Land Rover.

The company is focused on manufacturing and distributing chemicals, oil and gas, but Ratcliffe is a self-confessed admirer of the Defender.

Ineos wants to sell the vehicle for less than £50,000 and will aim it at farmers, foresters, explorers and enthusiasts. The company is looking to manufacture the off-roader in the UK – although it is also considering options in Europe – with the first cars potentially available from 2020. Ineos Automotive could employ up to 1,000 people if the venture is successful
".

https://www.theguardian.com/…/chemical-giant-ineos-to-build…

When this was first muted Jaguar Land Rover stated that they would take any company to court if they tried to copy the Defender in any way.

When I read this I thought that JLR had a plan to produce the Defender in India where labour costs are lower and there are less rules on safety and environmental issues.

If Ineos want to make a 4 X 4 they are going to need to ensure it doesn't look anything like a Defender.

When this was first muted Jaguar Land Rover stated that they would take any company to court if they tried to copy the Defender in any way.
That sort of thing ******* snaps me. "We're not playing any more, so no one else is allowed to either."

Cnuts.

Many start ups have come and gone over the years hoping to build a 'new' Landroiver.

They all face one huge uphill battle. The world is full of Toyota, Mitsubishi and Nissan factories and dealers selling cheap and durable pickups and crew cabs already.

Santana in spain used to build very good Lr´s under licence including colourfull airportables in bright colours for the civi fun market.The y stopped & switched to building the little Suzuki (S-10 was it?) & then stopped doing that.They now build their own "Hanibal" which looks like a combination of both ,but definately LR looking.They supply the spanish military.LR have not tried to take legal action againt them as far as I know

When I read this I thought that JLR had a plan to produce the Defender in India where labour costs are lower and there are less rules on safety and environmental issues.

If Ineos want to make a 4 X 4 they are going to need to ensure it doesn't look anything like a Defender.
IIRC JLR binned the India idea pretty quickly, not least because the ethics of building a vehicle no longer deemed safe by European regulation to sell in India are somewhat questionable.

VW canned Beetle and Combivan production in Mexico for the same reason.

I thinK Jeep would have had a strong case against LR back in the late forties and early fifties'.

We'll you can't do much worse than us. When the NZDF replaced our V8 Land Rover we got 6X6 Pinzgauers. Only regional users of it and only international users of that particular set up......What could go wrong? Its not like the maker would stop making them and international parts and support would dry up....Oh wait.

We'll you can't do much worse than us. When the NZDF replaced our V8 Land Rover we got 6X6 Pinzgauers. Only regional users of it and only international users of that particular set up......What could go wrong? Its not like the maker would stop making them and international parts and support would dry up....Oh wait.
What was the setup ? We had Pinz
4x4, 6x6 over here.

Slight thread resurrection but here goes.
I am currently out in Oman on Ex SAIF SAREEA 3, having been on SAIF SAREEA 2 back in 2001. Back then, the Sultan's Armed Forces had a wide selection of Land Rovers in service, mostly Series 3s and Defenders and generally petrol-powered. Fast forward 17 years and SAF have completely re-equipped with a variety of Toyota Land Cruisers in the pax, recce and WMIK roles, and Hilux crewcabs/pick-ups in the TUL/TUM role. Other than the stripped down "pinkie" type wagons, most seem to be reasonable civvy spec just painted sand colour. I have yet to see a military Land Rover and UK forces have rented a fleet of Toyotas as run-arounds. The (sensible, so unachievable) future is Japanese once the Wolf dies.

Slight thread resurrection but here goes.
I am currently out in Oman on Ex SAIF SAREEA 3, having been on SAIF SAREEA 2 back in 2001. Back then, the Sultan's Armed Forces had a wide selection of Land Rovers in service, mostly Series 3s and Defenders and generally petrol-powered. Fast forward 17 years and SAF have completely re-equipped with a variety of Toyota Land Cruisers in the pax, recce and WMIK roles, and Hilux crewcabs/pick-ups in the TUL/TUM role. Other than the stripped down "pinkie" type wagons, most seem to be reasonable civvy spec just painted sand colour. I have yet to see a military Land Rover and UK forces have rented a fleet of Toyotas as run-arounds. The (sensible, so unachievable) future is Japanese once the Wolf dies.
Hmmm Desert pimped Landcruiser :hump:
http://www.jankel.com/media/images/ThalabBrochureemail_177.pdf