Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grunt Slang in Vietnam

Grunt Slang in Vietnam

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
err Nig nog is an old derogatory term for a black person though, not on the list of approved language these days.
And prior to that a children's charity club.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I agree, an extremely impressive book. I particularly liked the bit where he described how he got his overloaded wokka over a fence by using the spin-direction of the rotors. It's not something you'd normally think of.

Another good book about Vietnam (and one of the first to appear) is: "If I Should Die In a Combat Zone". I can't rightly mind the name of the author, but I think it was Tim Something. It's a cracking read.

MsG
You liked a book written by a druggie ?
Now there's a surprise.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
You liked a book written by a druggie ?
Now there's a surprise.
I still like it. And, druggie or not, if it's a good read, why not?

On the other hand, you seem to have some very strange criteria for authors you like. Or was that just to get in an infantile remark about me?
Ah well, I suppose it takes all sorts.

MsG

slick

LE
I watched the 1989 documentary the other day "4 hours in My Lai", I can remember first watching it all those years ago. I also happened across some 1970 interviews with some of the culprits, strange viewing, most of them seem far too "easy" about it all, unless the demons were chomping away inside them....

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
I still like it. And, druggie or not, if it's a good read, why not?

On the other hand, you seem to have some very strange criteria for authors you like. Or was that just to get in an infantile remark about me?
Ah well, I suppose it takes all sorts.

MsG
It must have helped that you and the author share a common point of reference, yes?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
And another interesting thread turns into 'you're a poo poo head'.:(

It must have helped that you and the author share a common point of reference, yes?

This is really tiresome. Time after bloody time.

Robert Mason took to drugs when he returned from Vietnam because he had difficulties adjusting to life in the world. Just like tens of thousands of American soldiers who were sadly dumped into something well beyond their powers of comprehension.

Take this BS to the Poo Poo thread if you want to display your anti-Bugsy credentials and big bollox. Don't drive yet another thread into the cesspit of your animosity to someone you don't even know.

Grunt slang Vietnam.

Its a small world.

Rhodesia in about 71 / 72. Not that many Spams in the Rhode Army.
Terrs were Terrs and dead terrs were floppies.

A few US Army and Marines came over. Soon the terrs were gooks and as driving they did recon by firepower. I.e on a convoy driving from A to B firing up anything that looked like a possible ambush location.

''Sin Loi Muthafcuker....''

Had a 1Sg who always called our CO Dai Wee (Viet for captain and Likely I misspelled it horribly)

In the same vein, in WW2, the US soldiers at the front called their BCRs "repple depples". Which I believe comes from replenishment deployment or something.

Again, a difference in culture is displayed, as (so the story goes), no one would speak to the new arrivals.
Unless you were in the 10th at Lichfield (Wittington Barracks) then you called it hell

the US Col James A Killian was courtmartialed postwar for torturing wounded and AWOL's

Scran originated as Sustenance Consumed Rapidly Ad Nauseum.

Of course it didn't, I just made it up,
Inventing improbable acronyms for everyday slang words of disputed origins has been a pastime that seems to have existed forever.