Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grunt Slang in Vietnam

Grunt Slang in Vietnam

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Doesn't really matter where Nig originated. In my Battalion when I joined in the late 1960s the term for new guys was "duck". You were the platoon duck until the next new guy turned up. No idea where that term came from.

Books can, and obviously have, be written about slang but as slang is also very personal there will never be a definitive dictionary with all terms included, some is unit based and never moves.

Issi

War Hero
When i joined they still called the new lads "nigs". Never bothered to find out what that actually means but i really doubt that anyone would dare say it in todays diversity and inclusion army. It's too close to Guy Gibson's dog's name for comfort.
New In Germany = NIG.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
A good read about a Vietnam Huey pilot is Chickenhawk.
I agree, an extremely impressive book. I particularly liked the bit where he described how he got his overloaded wokka over a fence by using the spin-direction of the rotors. It's not something you'd normally think of.

Another good book about Vietnam (and one of the first to appear) is: "If I Should Die In a Combat Zone". I can't rightly mind the name of the author, but I think it was Tim Something. It's a cracking read.

MsG

Issi

War Hero
And if one was not in Germany at the time?

Never heard it out of BAOR, but one would assume that the term for a new boy being called a NIG, would still stand up when the unit moved back to Bulford/Tidworth etc.

“Di di mau” still works, as I’m sure @eodmatt will affirm...
Indeed it does. Di is translated as Go. Di Di means Go Quickly and Di Di Mau is the equivalent of Foxtrot Oscar without the sexual expletive. Also useful to know is the term Duh Ma Mae, which means Mother Fcuker, but using that phrase can get you into trouble.

ACAB

LE
Fantastic book, one that is written from the heart. Saw him at the Edinburgh Book Festival and when the fireworks went off in the Castle he nearly jumped for cover. 50 years after and he still is affected by his experiences.

He talked about his breakdown when in a meeting in Singapore with Chinese/ Asia faces round the table all he could see was piles of smoking dead VC bodies. His friend had to take him out of the room. That event led to his writing Matterhorn. Really, really worth getting a copy and reading it, I doubt anyone would be sorry to do so.
I've just bought it based on your recommendation.

"Slag" in reference to a male is Cockerney gay gangster slang.

Unmitigated terror prevents me from being more specific and naming the Cockerny gangsters.

Its OK, they're all dead, Charlie and his twin brothers. The rackets and shake downs are now all run by the Latvians, poles and Lithuanians....Be lucky!

When i joined they still called the new lads "nigs". Never bothered to find out what that actually means but i really doubt that anyone would dare say it in todays diversity and inclusion army. It's too close to Guy Gibson's dog's name for comfort.
A mate in the Artillery told me New Intake Gunner.

Regarding Vietnam slang, 'unass my AO'? Not a clue.