GRU Camps?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Nehustan, Apr 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I've been reading/watching some things recently that has me thinking of the cold war. In particular the book and film of Shutter Island (MKULTRA), which lead me to think of the Manchurian Candidate (original version) as well as a new version of The Prisoner (just watching now on ITV1), which made me think about the original series. Somewhere in my mind I recall watching a programme back in the 80s which may have been a drama or documentary about secret GRU camps intended to train people in mock villages deep inside the USSR. Does anyone have any links or knowledge on such things???

Cheers.

2. IIRC the camps were set up to mimic the west in all things, with those going through training only allowed to speak English. Then they could be sent over to West to spy.

3. read "The Charm School" by Nelson DeMille. excellent novel on that very subject.

4. Seconded

5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Yep that was the misty memory of what I saw...

6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Yep I've read some of the Suvorov books...scary spetsnaz!

7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Will root a copy out.

8. I dont know, I thought "The Liberators" was F as F I think the bits about why he joined the Army, and why he defected hilarious

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I really liked all the bits that delineated the structures of the GRU Brigades, and their (i.e. spetsnaz) official invisibility. When I see the modern day fellows on the TV with Spetsnaz insignia it seems hard to take them too seriously compared to their soviet predecessors; that said I'm not queueing up for a fist fight.

10. Suvorov/Rezun should always be taken with pile of salt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Suvorov

He inflated and diluted stuff he wrote to sell books so much that it's hard to disguise if there are any grains of truth. In other words, he's very much full of $hyte.

One interesting tidbit I got during my armed service was that one KGB and one GRU spetznaz units were disguised inside Moscow Dynamo and Moscow ZSKA sport organizations.

So beware when Moscow ZSKA comes to play ice hockey or football in your country. :soldier: