growing your own veg

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by DAKOTA_STAB, Jan 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the wife has been going on for a while to start growing our own veg.
    got no problem with it really and hopefully it would save afew quid as we eat at least 3 veg with dinner.

got plenty of space as i'm lucky to have a fair sized garden. problem is i dont know where to start, here are afew questions
    1. when is the best time to start prepping the land?
    2. whats the best veg to grow?
    3. how much work is involved?

if you have any pointers that would help turn me into a percy thrower then post away.

have a look there

Yields will vary with variety, soil and climate. Remember to plant some small quantities of new vegetables or heirloom varieities, just for fun.

As a rough guide when planning your planting you can expect
    Carrots 5kg (11lb40z) per 3m row
    Courgettes 15 per plant
    Early potatoes 1.5kg (3lb60z) per plant
    French beans 3kg (7lb) per 3m (10ft) row
    Runner beans 1kg (2lb 4oz) per plant
    Peas 3.5-4.0kg (8-10lb) per 3m (10ft) row
    Spinach 3kg (7lb) per 3m (10ft) row
    Strawberries 750kg (1lb8oz) per plant
    Sweet corn 2 cobs per plant
    Tomatoes 1.75kg (4lb) per outdoor plant
  3. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Good link johnboyzzzzz.......

Any suggestions for veg we could plant in garden in france that would survive being left several weeks at a time with no attention??
  4. You could try growing brussel sprouts, invest in a potato patch as spuds are easy to cultivate/ignore/forget :roll:
  5. mwl946

Thank you, land has been largely uncultivated for several years. Had thought perhaps spuds were the way to start until such time as out there for prolonged periods.
  6. If you do go down the spud production line, ask any Irish person, how long you should repeat the same crop before employing crop rotation.

Or you could just grow carnations
  7. mwl946

I think I ll stick with the spuds!!!!

Cheers for advice
  8. Go for raised beds, strips around 4 ft wide and 15- 20 ft long, with planks of treated wood from a fencing merchants, held in place with steel rods, and paths in between.
    A good book will help with treatment of soil, but I recommend an electric rotovator to keep the soil fluffed up ( I've got a petrol one as well but the bugger runs away with me :oops: )
    Start small till you can decide the area you can manage, and don't f*** about with things that are cheap in the shops when it's harvest time. Forget carrots, turnips, stuff like that, go for raspberries, swiss chard, shallots and leeks. Plus nothing beats a freshly picked potato, washed and steamed.
    Also in the spring, Aldi will be selling fruit trees, tall columnar types, so start a mini orchard for next to nothing, I've had some great crops off mine.
    I'm pretty inept, but what I do manage to save from the slugs tastes great, good luck....
  9. Avoid at all costs using synthetic fertilizers (Miracle Gro and Phostrogen) on anything you grow to eat, they will be retained within the plant when you eat it. Largely it will effect the taste rather than turn you into a mutant, but still not pleasant for your body.

Look into farmyard manures and chicken pellets, people prefer to handle different ones. But they can also have different effects on your yields as each one pumps in different neutriants meaning either neutriant balance or imbalances in soil - but an imbalance isnt a bad thing, just not getting the full benefits. The best fertilizer i have used on veg is to get either ECL or 6X (both the same thing, concentrated manure and stinks like hell) and pack some into a hessian sack, about 2l in size, then let it float in a large waterbutt for a week, this is then watered onto your crops once a week or two. The friend who recommended this saw his runner bean crop yeilds jump by a third! There are a lot of other ways to feed your veg, some specific and some ticky, that one is the best all rounded and easy to use, plus you can use it all around the garden hassle free. On a slight side note you can connect your houses guttering to that waterbutt very easily to fill it for free, handy if your in an area with a history of hose pipe bans

If ever in doubt find yourself your local garden centre, a small one preferably family owned or slightly bigger who are more than happy to have a good chat with you to give all the advice you need. The larger ones like Dobbies are like B&Q, full of mongs stacking shelves and the ones who actually have a clue are few and far between.
  10. Here are some links which may help massive knowledge bank.
    I bought the book to the series recently and it´s superb. crackingblog.

I´ve been using raised beds for a number of years now but they have a tendency to dry out quite quickly especially around the sides.

Some people grow potatoes in old tyres but i´ve read somewhere that it´s not really advisable due to heavy metals leeching from the tyres.