Growing olives in UK

Got a couple of olice trees in the back garden. We are growing them in plastic laundry container type things, had them a year now. looks like they are fruiting:

2017-06-04 19.37.09.jpg

Anyone managed to grow olives here in the UK? Shall I just get disappointed now to save time later?

Grow? Yes.*
Make Edible? No.

* the fruit is pretty small
What did you try to make them edible?
2 years soaking in 8% brine is supposed to work really well.

So a greek bloke I know said.

It has been a funny growing season up to now. It hardly rained in April or early May but wasn't that warm either with night frosts up until a couple of weeks ago. I thought I had lost my early spuds but have been pretty lucky.

I dont think frost is an issue for olive trees but they do need a lot of warmth and sunlight in the summer months ......and very little rain.

Soaked them in brine, but not for that long
Have to admit I have googled it now to see if he was talking bollards but seems if you dont slice or beat the olives before hand then 2 years is about right.

Is there a "most middle class thread" competition going on or something?
I got the trees off some bloke on Gumtree..not Waitrose!

I'm trying to grow working class olives.

Is there a "most middle class thread" competition going on or something?
It's part of the gentrification of Arrse. There was a recipe on here for something with avocado and quinoa the other day. I almost spluttered over my Foie Gras

I've bay tree I nearly killed by having weed killer in the water can prior to watering it....

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've bay tree I nearly killed by having weed killer in the water can prior to watering it....
I've got 2 of the fuckers, both over 6' tall, and can I get rid of any of the fkin leaves? No one wants them!

Dry the bay leaves in paper bags until crumbly, then mill them to powder in an electric coffee mill. Easy to add to stews etc. without fishing out greenery. Unload jars of it on your friends.

I've got 2 of the fuckers, both over 6' tall, and can I get rid of any of the fkin leaves? No one wants them!
I have a stand of them - actually make that 2 if you include the other Garden

Big bunch of 30 or 40 of the things all But 2 at 6ft tall the other 2 are 40ft - and I didn't get time to cut them

The damn things grow about 5ft a year and nobody wants the leaves either -

Dry the bay leaves in paper bags until crumbly, then mill them to powder in an electric coffee mill. Easy to add to stews etc. without fishing out greenery. Unload jars of it on your friends.
Therein lies the problem.
it's a crockery-related issue.

With regard to early seeding and the risk of frost I have considered a heated germination gadget, it sits on a windowsill and costs a few pence per day to run and apparently keeps the soil at an even temperature for the seeds to grow. We have some tomatos, cucumbers and courgettes in some little greenhouses in growing bags we are trying this year but we seeded them right at the end of when you are supposed to seed. We will see how they turn out.

Is there a growing thread anywhere on Arrse? I've got 2 allotments and grow all kinds of fruit and veg.
Hmmm, i think that technically, you require the shed thread.