Growing Eastern Navies

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by Yeoman_dai, Nov 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting article from the economist about the rise of the Naval power of China and India. India in particular wants 3 CBG by 2020. By then we'll manage about one tops

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21567073-their-navies-expand-india-and-china-will-begin-bump-up-against-each-other-sea-churning?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/pe/churningtheoceans

2. Not to mention the Sons of Nippon, Thailand and Vietnam. Defence spending during a recession is the sexiest Keynes-ism.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

You can see it as an example of rising economies preparing to defend their emerging global interests or local minor powers reacting to the rise of local superpowers. Alternatively you could see it as an emerging region of conflict and destabilisation as the locals resurrect old emnities and create new ones. Britain protects her interests by a complex web of alliances and relationships built up over a hundred years. we can never hope to compete with an emerging China militarily but we can ensure that we don't have to do it alone.

4. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Whether some of our 'allies' will turn up on the day is another matter.

5. FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT! Seriously it does look a bit grim for the future in the east. India seems to be puffing it's self up now it's new "Bezza" mate the US is telling them they are dead ard and would certainly hold it's cardigan while it biffed the chinkie updstart.
    All ends in tears I tells ya.

6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Whether we turn up on the day is a more fundamental question. Whilst we have trading concerns in the area we no longer have direct interests that might lead us into a war down there unless part of a wider conflict or as part of a coalition with the Yankees. In the future we might forge a real fighting alliance with the Indians, for example, but I struggle to see what's in it for them in the longer term.

7. Do we still have any interests East of Suez? Is that SEATO thing still going?

I was always a bit concerned that they were fighting over the Scarborough Shoal, at first I thought they wanted to invade Yorkshire, poor blighters wouldn't know what hit em.

8. Jeez! You guys scared me for a second - I thought it was one more of those "look how great we are!" Indian threads! Hey, I have nothing against them or the country (my dad is 1/4 Asian-Indian FFS), but some of the posters from there are starting to get really childish and annoying.

9. redshift. There is still time for earth/rayc/yusuf to find the thread and bore us with details of the potential of the Indian navy and how the olny thing it would do with the RN is give it a good thrashing to make up for colonial days.

10. Yu're not wrong there fella! For the love of God's Green Earth, I cannot work what the hell we would gain by getting involved in a by-proxy naval conflict between India (backed by the USA) and China. Anyway, we made a conscious decision to buy off the Chinese and educate all their kids at our universities.

11. So, it's going to be a fight between the takeaways huh? Tough choice....

• Like Like x 2
  12. Having all three options i.e. Chinese, Indian and a Chippy just round the corner from H_M Towers, I'd be hard-pressed to choose, but the fish and chips option can be quickly discounted, so it is a toss-up between Sweet and Sour Pork or Chicken Madras methinks...

13. A good styr-fry is the healthier option.

14. You hardly go to a takeaway for the good of your health, do you?

15. Perhaps not, but you can still have something which is the best of a bad bunch.