Groups - Functionality

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Sixty, Jul 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I've been messing about with the groups functionality to check out the various features and will update this if I find anything worth noting.

1. Privacy

Using my mod account to create and my non-mod sockpuppet account to test, I have created a private group. To do this, select 'Invite only' under Group Type and (vital) 'Users must join to view the content'.

This means that your group appears like the below to non-members and site guests:

You'll note there's no 'join' button on the main page:

You can change both group types and view options using the 'edit' button on the main groups page - note: Group Leader only.
  2. Sixty

2. Inviting new members

Clicking this will lead to a screen where you type the invitees user-name. They will then be sent a notification.
  3. Sixty

3. Transferring Group Ownership

Clicking this:

Brings up this screen:

New owner is notified by PM and must accept before ownership switches over.
  4. Thanks Sixty.

I know that Balleh has been asking this stuff since starting the business groups yesterday so it's good to know.

As Balleh is offline at the 'mo I am sure he will not mind if I ask on his behalf, as a couple of us are going to help him out with this new group:

1) Can he change the group from Public, as it is now, to Moderated as is his desire, by using any admin tools that only available to him as the group creator?

2) I understand that the creator will contact those that wish to join and proceed from there, but what about any Group Leaders that he nominates? I am presuming that a Group Leader nominee will have a set of admin tools when admitted but how does that differ from an ordinary poster/user?

3) Can you suggest a vetting format?

5. Sixty

Yep. Under the edit option. It only takes a couple of clicks. Click 'Group functions' then 'edit group'. Just a case of altering the tick-box after that.

I don't see any functionality that allows other Group Leaders, beyond transferring the entire group ownership. Can you ask Balleh to confirm that he sees that as an option? It might be because the group I created is invite only but I've checked under moderated and can't see it either.

Nothing exciting :) Advertise the group, invite interested people to propose themselves by PM, including business details / service details? (I don't know who you're really aiming for as members).
  6. Cheers.

I have used this screenshot from 3RTR group as an example where there are 3 Group Leaders.

The group is for ex servicemen & women who are interested in all aspects of Business and Networking. Possibly even hiring. We would not be interested in allowing all & sundry to join as there would be PERSEC issues. The group will fail if some walter civvie got hold of our details.
  7. Sixty

Got you. That's a permission group, rather than the user-groups we're talking about. It's actually one of the hidden forums that were on the old site but transported across. It's like the Bat Cave (mod's forum) or the Longdon Bar.

It looks like the groups that users can create have no option for other leaders.

You'd need some mil details then (service number, locations & dates served etc) but I appreciate that this is by no means foolproof. Short of asking for copies of discharge papers though? Not sure what to suggest.

Unless you actually do know the colour of The Boathouse :)
  8. That makes sense now.

Well that sort of blows the plan out of the water. Shame.

Scanned copy of the first page of the red book would have been a start I suppose, with a couple of cheeky questions thrown in for good measure.

Er, teal?
  9. Sixty

Ok, being a bloke, I don't do this often but I've just had a look at the manual; no functionality that I can see that will do what you need.

1. Transfer the entire group. With no offence intended at all to Balleh, could he transfer it to yourself who's more tech-literate or to someone with more online time?

2. Email Good CO and ask if it's possible to add it as a hidden forum. This would allow others some moderation rights.
  10. Thanks again Sixty.

I will wait for Balleh to log in, and he can make the command decisions. There is no way I wish to step on his toes. I have sent him a PM directing him to this thread.

Cheers again, and I sure this gen will be useful to other potential group creators.
  11. Sixty and Arte,

I'm not as technically competent as others here and anything I do will take time and be frustrating for everyone, so absolutely no offence taken if someone else would like to take over the Leadership.

Arte, you?

Let me know what I should do. PM to GCO?

Best wishes and I look forward to chatting with people - if I am allowed to remain a member!!

12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks for your work on this guys. I'm also still feeling my way.

3RTR are a confusion at the moment because they have both types of group. I've proposed to 3RTR that they move from the Bat Cave / Longdon Bar type admin-controlled hidden forum, so a group of the type you've been playing about with; user created, with a gallery and a simple message board.

About the control of the group. I agree it's a great shame that we don't see to be able to have multiple 'leaders'. I will look into whether a modification is available for this, or whether we can get one made.

I'm a bit limited in what I can do now, so please bear with it until next week.
  13. GCO. Balleh has asked me via PM to take over the Business Group, which I am happy to do and state here and now that it was his idea and not mine.

I still have concerns about legibity of membership though, of which you are well aware, and will await your "tweakings" of the groups.

14. Arte,

You have my full support.

15. Thanks Balleh We will see what GCO can sort out regarding group leaders etc.