Group Size Prior to APWT

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by blackninja980, Mar 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening Troops.

What are the required group sizes prior to firing the APWT OA & Svcs?

Am I correct with:

SUSAT 225mm @ 100M

Iron Sight 300mm @ 100M

Thanks in advance :?
  2. I'm unsure of the answer, but they sound rather large to me??

300mm and 225mm?!?! You'd have to be blind to fail them.
  3. 20 Round Group (Zeroing at 100 m)

SUSAT = 225 mm
    Irons = 300 mm

5 Round Check Group (Zeroing at 100 m)

SUSAT = 150 mm
    Irons = 200 mm

MPI (centre) of the Check Group should be 50 mm or less from the CZP otherwise you may as well throw stones at the 300 metre target on the APWT!!!
  4. Flight

Flight LE Book Reviewer

Is a 30mm 5 round check group good then? :D
  5. SUSAT, Iron or Pencil?
  6. I'd think a sawn-off could do 300mm at that range! :)
  7. Bear in mind that the targets are 455mm wide so you really need a grouping of 150mm at 100m at the most to give you a chance of hitting the 300m targets (Estimated scoring Area I think it is called - but don't quote me, my coaching skills are a bit rusty!)
  8. Keep steady :D
  9. #

Don't hold the position for too long on the standing.

Fire your one shot fairly quickly, then drop to prone and fire the remaining 4 from a decent position.
  10. standing

Body 45% to target, feet shoulder width and slightly bent, feet pointing slightly otwards. Adjust position with whole body so that weapon comes naturally into the aim pointing at the target. Bring weapon up, get body position right, allow to come down into alert position with minimum movement of other parts of the body.

When the target comes up, weapon up, breathe in, let it out and line up, hold breath, squeeze off round, apply safety and get into prone ASAP.

Left foot pointing at target, sitting back with heel of right boot up your jacksie or right boot on its side and you sitting upon it.

Get your left elbow either forward or behind the knee, not on it. Try to relax, this position is uncomfortable for the first few years of your army career until your body gets used to it, this can lead to instability, then you tense up to try and counter the instability and get the shakes even worse.

Trick is to relax, breathe and practice the position until it becomes more stable.
  11. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

To achieve a "marksman" my 2* cadets (age approx 14) group 102mm or less at 100m (5 rounds) with iron sight only!
  12. As ever, feel free to disagree, YMMV, but some thoughts...

Stand still. If you're wobbling all over the place, the rifle doesn't stand a chance. You're more likely to stand still if your head is more or less level, which leads into:-

The rifle should fit you, don't hunch up to fit the rifle. Don't get obsessed with putting the butt into the shoulder; it's OK to allow the bottom of the butt to sit on the part of the upper arm nearest the shoulder.

Try and get the left elbow under the rifle; it's there to support it, after all (see principle 1 - the bit that says "...without undue physical effort").

Sit on your heel. Otherwise you're no more stable than in the standing position.

The problem with sitting on the side of your foot is that it's a b*gger to get in and out of position quickly. The problem with keeping the ball of your foot in contact with the ground is that there is little stability - you can wobble side to side easily - and it soon hurts. The answer is to do some stretching until the whole of the front of your foot (ie toecap and bootlaces) are in contact with the ground. This is both stable, and fast to move into / out of; you just roll over the top of the toe, and drop into position.

If you've got stubby wee legs and a long back, your shoulders will be well above your knee, and you'll have to rest your elbow on it; use the back of the elbow, as the point wobbles too much; using the front of the elbow means that recoil buggers your position every shot because it starts to slip down your thigh.

If you've got long limbs and a short back, rest the magazine on your thigh, and drop your elbows down either side of your knee. Lovely and stable...

Training! And more Training!

If the only time you ever try and aim is on the firing point for the LF practices, or during the APWT, you're hosed - it isn't enough. Practice aiming at a mark, practice entering and leaving your firing positions. Do it a few times every time you sign out a weapon, and you'll improve.

You don't want to practice something that works on a range, but doesn't work in reality, so check that it's practical in fighting order...
  13. Thanks for the replies - just what I was looking for.

Is there much use in doing specific strength excerices to lessen any fatigue/shaking or is technique the key?
  14. Both will do. But technique will win over strength, every time. I had a 5'2" petite teammate who outperformed a shedload of the Division's finest, using an SLR...